Installing satellite radio on Mazda B400 (Ranger)

Anyone here install a Sirius satellite radio as an aftermarket add-on to a Ranger of Mazda B-series?

I recently purchased a Mini Cooper and got the Sirius radio built in and I'd like to install Sirius in my 97 Mazda B4000.

The installation kit comes with an antenna that must mount on top of the roof and the small-diameter coaxial cable lead from the antenna must snake around the windshield molding, etc., etc., into the cab. It seems to me that I could mount the antenna toward the back of the cab roof, drill a small hole in the plastic lens for the third brake light (the one on the top rear of the cab), run the coax through the hole in the lens, seal the hole with silicon sealant, then run the coax through the same hole as the wires for the brake light, snake it through the space between the headliner and the cab roof, then down inside the pillar between the windshield and the door, bring it out under the dash, and connect it to the Sirius receiver, which will be mounted on a goose-neck mount bolted to the floor using one of the bolts that holds the seat track in place.

Anyone else try this?

Or, tell me how you mounted your Sirius satellite radio antenna and how did you get the cable inside the truck.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

I installed an XM antenna on my Excursion, on the roof just above the windshield. I tucked the wire underneath the windshield weatherstripping and ran it across and down the passenger side of the windshield, and continued under the cowl to the engine compartment, where I was able to find an existing wiring pass-through leading under the dashboard.

I didn't trust the magnet mount of the antenna so I got some super-strong double-sided tape to mount the antenna. Been through many car washes since and it's still there.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You can mount the antenna inside, and never worry that it will be ripped off by the car wash or attract the attention of the criminal element that thinks that whatever you own is free for the taking ...

Radio waves work good through glass.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Satellite signals don't work all that well through steel, though. I tried mounting the antenna on the dash for a while, the roof of the Excursion is so long that if I was heading north I would lose the satellite. I live near the 45th North Parallel.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

45N is roughly the Canadian border (just south of ... ). I suppose if you were headed in a northerly direction, the Excusion could block the signal. I had not thought of northern latitudes. I never had that problem in my BMW living on a line around 33N.

We froze our collective asses off today - the temp was about 65 ...

I shutter (shiver, actually) at the thought of what you got ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, depending on what state you're in. I actually live north of the Canadian border (Windsor), and 45degN is about a two hour drive north of me.

You will receive no sympathy from me. :-)

We haven't had a day above freezing for a couple weeks now, but we weren't slammed with bad weather like they were south of here. Coldest it's gotten here this winter was about 8F in the morning a couple weeks ago. We'll see -10 by February. Your nose hairs freeze on the first outside inhalation and the roof trusses shrink enough to sound like someone's walking on your roof all night. Thank God I have a block heater or that diesel would take 20 minutes to warm up on those days.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

huh, that's interesting. It's been known that they'll have to allow for a stored/delayed system like 8 seconds to try to take care of some to this type of issue. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to