air filters? synthetic oil?

whats the difference between the filter under my head and the one in my glove box. i just went to jiffy scam and they told me i needed BOTH repalced. i know how to replace the one under the hood myself, but then then showed me this other one that was more flat and they said it had to be accessed through the glove box? who knows. it was $30, and i replaced it.

i have a 2005 toyoto matrix.

was i scammed? there were leaves in it. how often does this need to be changed?

what is the difference between that air filter and the one that is under the hood. thanks.

also, totally unrelated. synthetic oil. what's the deal! my step dad said i could go 15,000 miles in between changes. i have gone 7,500 and i changed it. the same dude at jiffy scam said that i was insane and no one can go that long in between oil changes. who is right? is it bad to go 15,000 in between changes, when using mobil 1 or whatever?

Reply to
jrunruh

I believe the other mysterious filter is the cabin filter for air coming into the vents (AC, etc.). If you're driving behind a diesel car, I don't know how well it gets rid of the stank.

I think oil should be changed at least every 5k because of the dirt that finds its way into the engine.

Reply to
Alan

so what does the one under the hood do?

i dont know ANYTHING about cars...sorry if that is a silly quesiton.

Reply to
jrunruh

The one under the hood filters air going into the engine. The one in the glove box filters air going into the passenger compartment (most vehicles don't have this).

Synthetic oil is great for extreme temperatures i.e. it does not freeze at -30 deg.F and it does not break down at 300 deg.F. Since it is more stable it can be used for longer drain intervals than conventional oil. The only way you should go 15,000 miles with any oil is if you do a lot of highway miles e.g. 5,000 miles per month.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Synthetic oil will not break down as quick as conventional oil, but..... You still have an oil filter that needs changing. Everybody is making oil that lasts longer, but if you go longer between changes you better have a really good filter. I would probably go 5 or 6000 miles with a good filter.

Reply to
CGBear

Hopefully it isn't really under your head. The one under the hood cleans the air coming into the motor and should be replaced on schedule. The one in the cabin cleans air that you breathe and should also be replaced on schedule.

By using their name like that I assume you don't trust Jiffy Lube. If not, why don't you take the car to the dealer where they will certainly know what needs to be replaced and the schedule.

It's probably a Toyota.

Doesn't look like it unless you want to use a dirty filter.

Copied from above. The one under the hood cleans the air coming into the motor and should be replaced on schedule. The one in the cabin cleans air that you breathe and should also be replaced on schedule.

Only if you want to destroy the engine. Why not follow the owners manual at a minimum.

I would change synthetic and the filter at a maximum of 5,000 miles.

Reply to
John S.

Filters the air that the engine pumps into the combustion chambers. Where the pistons are.

Reply to
Jon C

thanks! sorry. im a terrible speller! clearly.

Reply to
jrunruh

The air filter is for the engine and is located under the hood. This should be inspected at every oil change and replaced when dirty typically every 12-15 thousand miles for replacement. Be careful about the cheaper brand filters as they can shed fibers which will stick to the mass air flow sensor causing other problems with vehicle operation. BTW..mass air flow sensors can be quite pricey, more than you save with cheap air filters. The one by the glove box is the cabin air filter (some cars have more than one of these). This should be inspected regularly and changed when dirty typically once a year. If the cabin filter goes without replacement it will cause the blower motor for your cars HVAC system to work harder and shorten the expected life. This is also quite pricey to replace as opposed to leaving a dirty filter in place. New cars come with cabin filters older cars did not.

As to referring to the place you have your car serviced as "Jiffy Scam" you would be much better finding a trustworthy repair shop in your area to have all your services performed there. It is much better to have that relationship with a shop then to only take your car there when it breaks. A trustworthy shop will have highly educated and experienced technicians that look at your car every time you take it to them.

If you need help finding a trustworthy shop in your area I would be more than happy to help. Just let me know.

Reply to
Ken

replaced on >schedule. =3D=3D=3D unless proven otherwise the filter in the cabin - is a good deal, people who have a problem with falling leaves stopping air flow across the ac evaporator coils - are blessed if they have this filter, it's a rarity, change it when due.

I don't drive much, but I do change my syn oil / filter every 6000 miles.

Some newer cars are having sludge problems. that "might" be overcome with frequent oil / filter changes of the right kind / type.

As far as getting screwed on price for oil / filter change, average air filters run 5-6 dollars, some more, and medium priced oil filters usually run 3-4 dollars.

It is important to get an oil filter that meets the oem specification. oil prices run 2-6 dollars / qt. - depending on the type.

another plus - is NOT to OVERFILL the car's oil sump, and add only at time of need.

there is no such thing as putting EXCESS oil in the engine oil sump - for future use. (if need be, keep the "oil stock" in the trunk unopened, not in the crankcase / oil pan)

if you use a "Speedy Change" service for oil and air filters, be sure you bargain for, and get the right types.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

where is the cabin filter for the ac evaporator coils / etc. located on an '05 dodge stratus sedan?

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron