Any Idea About Finding Out If A Car Is Stolen?

I'm looking at a Mustang to buy, a 1965, and the Vin on the door and the frame are different (no surprise there!) but the car is titled and registered by the door vin which is totally incorrect. When I buy it, I want to register it by the frame Vin, the corrct one, but I want to find if this vehicle is stolen or not. No reason to think so, its just that 42 years is a long time and a lot of stuff can happen in between. Any help would be appriciated! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

Why not run a Carfax, just for starters? It doesnt cost much, compared to what you can get into by buying something hot.

Reply to
<HLS

Carfaxes aren't worth the paper their downloaded onto.

Reply to
Noozer

Carfax requires a 17 digit vin. If you have a title/reg you must use the vin on that documenmt. In NYS changing that info is just about impossible. If you know the last state of registration you may be able to ask that states dmv to run the other number.

Reply to
maxwedge

Maybe not the ultimate in research, but it is a start, and they are cheap enough.

Reply to
<HLS

How about asking your insurance agent to run the vin?

Reply to
pAuL