Anybody w/ actual experience with 383 w/ 10:1 on pump gas?

Reason I ask is because I purchased SpeedPro (i.e. Federal Mogul) flat tops with the intent of running early heads but, I recently came across a nice set of Vortecs (64cc vs. 76cc). If Vortecs are run with flat pistons, compression ends up being 10:1 according to Federal Mogul.

Now, I do understand how duration and valve timing can affect actual cylinder pressures but, I haven't the foggiest idea how this will translate in to real-world, practical experience on the street.

So, anyone actually running a stroked Chevy (383) with a cam similar to Edelbrock's "RPM"? What can you say about your motor's taste for pump gas?

DUR@.050 LIFT I E I E LOBE SEP. 234' 244' .488" 510" 114'

P.S. a '56 GMC truck will recieve this motor and it will be driven ~6,000 miles/year

Reply to
Matt Zerega

We have run a 383 at 10.7:1 with slightly more cam, 285/295, 507/534 on pump gas with no problems. You need the higher octane race fuels when you get into the 12-13:1 range.

Reply to
MikeLens