Are brakes simply brakes?

Sorry, this might seem like a naive question. I have repaired brakes myself on my cars for many years (Cavalier and Corolla), and I now have a friend who wants me to repair her worn brake pads for her Xterra. I am not familiar with this SUV, but is it safe to say replacing brake pads and turning rotors, if necessary, is pretty much the same for all cars? Pretty much just push the pistons in, unbolt the calipers, and slip in the new pads? I suppose I should just get the service manual...

Thanks!

Julie

Reply to
Julie P.

Get a manual .

On one of my cars you have to remove the calipers to change the pads. And it needed a big screwdriver like bit , I think was a torq wrench or something.

Reply to
marks542004

You are going to need to know the minimum thickness of the rotors before you attempt to machine them. Too thin would be bad for your liability should there be an unfortunate event/accident in the future.

Some ABS systems do not tolerate the brake fluid being pushed back through the system when you compress the caliper pistons back in to accommodate the new pads. A mucked up ABS pump or controller would be an expensive lesson.

Reply to
anumber1

thanks for the warning. appreciate it.

i'll get the manual as someone suggested!

Reply to
Julie P.

I'm sure there are plenty of weird exceptions out there but basically if you have done one you can figure out how to do them all. At least look at a service manual before you try it.

If the car has antilock brakes I would open the bleeders and push the pistons in. I have heard folks say that pushing the pistons back in the "old way" can physically damage the pumps or push crap back up the lines and damage the pumps. Other folks have said that is not true but when compared with wasting $1 worth of brake fluid or damaging $1k worth of ABS system I'll continue to waste the $1 and open the bleeders. Depending on how the brake fluid has been in there this might be a good time to flush anyway.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

thanks! but then i have to bleed the brakes right, since i opened the system? not a biggie.

Reply to
Julie P.

Seriously, are you a Troll?

Mike