Are memory saver tools safe to use?

I've been looking at these memory saver tools, they use either a 9 volt or

12 volt battery source. They plug into the cigarette lighter and maintain the computer, clock and radio settings when you disconnect the vehicle battery. I'm wondering if these things are safe to use without damaging anything such as the cars computer system. You would have to plug this thing in before you unhooked the battery so you would be introducing another 12 volts into the system. Would doing this be harmful? Which one would be better to use, the one that uses the 9 volt battery or the 12 volt? I appreciate any help.

Thanks, Dennis B

Reply to
Dennis

Small bias batteries are often used to preserve the memories in devices of this type. The applications are low current, and using such a battery should cause no problem. Dont expect the memory saver battery to last for days. If it were I, I would go for the 12 volt version, as that is nearer to the auto's normal operating voltage.

Reply to
<HLS

They work for a battery change. As said 12 volt is better than 9 volt. Also a old 12 volt fused power supply works good. Or even a small 12 volt battery. But memory savers are only safe for a battery change. And do not short out your positive cable when changing battery.

Reply to
MT-2500