'99 93 Battery

Hi,

I need to change my battery on my 99 Saab 93 (5 door hatchback). I bought the car used and I don't have the codes to unlock radio/alarm etc. I didn't replace the batt yet, what should I do? Ask a Saab dealer for the codes?

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ultimately yes, your best solution is to get the codes. You'll need them sooner or later.

But for now, if you need to change the battery but don't have codes, all you need to do is rig up a 12V supply across the battery terminals.

Get yourself another (third) battery, or a regulated 12V mains supply. Temporarily connect it to your battery terminals using flying leads. They don't have to be heavy duty - it will only carry a few mA as long as the ignition is off.

Once you have this hooked up, you can safely replace your battery without losing any memory settings.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
Radiodog

Ben,

No radio code is needed for your car. The radio is "married" to your car by the car's VIN. The radio is on the interior CAN bus or I-bus. When the radio is turned on, it sends a request on the I-bus for the car's VIN. If the car's VIN matches the stored VIN in the radio, it functions, otherwise you will get a "Radio Code" message on the SID. In this case, the message indicates this radio is not married to this car. The radio may be married to another car or not married to any car.

The stored VIN is the VIN of the car that was used to "Marry" the radio using the TECH II. This information is stored in the non-volitale memory of the radio. The information can only be changed, "Divorced", by the TECH II if the stored VIN and car VIN match. Thus making it impossible to use an undivorced (stolen) radio (or CD Changer) in another car.

This information is valid for 1999-2003 conv US spec 9-3 and All US spec 9-5

All you will have to do after changing the battery is to set the SID and recallibrate the ACC if you have one.

Good luck, Steve Crowe, Master Saab Tech Harpers Ferry, WV

Reply to
Steve Crowe

Thanks Steve!

This sounds like the right answer as far as tech info goes.

I talked to the dealer and they'll provide me with the code for the radio, so I don't expect any surprises.

The trickling power source suggested by the other guys is also a great solution, and I will try it none the less ( I have an adjustable pwr supply for my electronic shop), and maybe I will not have to get into any codes and such.

Thanks a bunch to all of you!

Ben

Quebec, Canada (-30C every night for the last 3 weeks!)

Reply to
Ben