Unplugging the Battery

I am to unplug the battery negative and later put it back on. (to put in AUX audio input adaptor)

Is there any precautions I should take notes of ? anything I should be aware of ? Or just "take it off/put it on" simple as that ?

thanks

Reply to
klara

Pull/replace - Simple as that.

Reply to
Don Bruder

One precaution ... don't accidentally touch the positive terminal with the wrench while working on that negative terminal :-)

Reply to
bowgus

You may lose the security code of your radio etc so be sure you know how to reset them after you have the power off.

Reply to
John G

If your car has a code-protected anti-theft radio, you will want to be sure you "read" the code BEFORE disconnecting the cable--record it someplace safe and 'findable'. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

"If your car has a code-protected anti-theft radio, you will want to be

sure you "read" the code BEFORE disconnecting the cable--record it someplace safe and 'findable'. s "

And how would she do that? And how would she know if she had a code-protected anti-theft radio? And what if she didn't get the code? Is the radio trash?

Just curious. I'm still driving a car with mechanical push buttons on the radio.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

wrote

In order: Read the owner's manual. Read the owner's manual. Get out your wallet. Pay the dealer to retrieve the code.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

yes thanks I have the code

2004 TSX
Reply to
klara

another option would be to attach a small 9 volt battery to a cigarette lighter plug and leave it in the cigarette lighter while you disconnect the main battery. just be careful, opening doors or other power options could cause the voltage in the reserve 9 volt battery to drop below the levels required to hold the code in the radio.

sdlomi2 wrote:

Reply to
osbornauto

Disconnect the negative first, and reconnect it last. If you disconnect it first and accidentally touch the wrench to both the positive side and the vehicle body, you won't arc-weld the wrench to the car.

Reply to
Bob M.

Why the hell would you be touching metal objects to both the positive side and the vehicle body? Is this something you find yourself doing often?

Perhaps such an idiotic warning isn't enough. Don't forget: don't wear 8' scarves while bending down over the fan belt don't drink the battery acid don't take the car into the bathtub don't look into the exhaust pipe while the engine is running don't get under a car supported only by stacks of phone books

-- saw the warning 'don't eat' on the last air mattress I picked up.

Reply to
AZ Nomad