Are plastic connectors for injectors and other pieces available individually?

When pulling apart my '89 Cressida to replace the head gasket, I find a number of the electrical connectors are deteriorating, especially the outer shrouds, getting brittle and breaking, such as the connectors for the injectors. They can still be plugged in but losing a lot of dirt protection and in some cases the snap/clip whatever the official term for it is broken.

I suppose I could goober silicone all over the things and mold with aluminum foil as a makeshift measure but it would be nice to just have new pieces. Would I be able to buy these as individual pieces that could be soldered or crimped in place or will I likely have to buy that entire "octopus" section of wiring they're attached to that's wrapped in what seems like a mile of protective tape? I'm betting it's a dealer only item.

Reply to
Doc

Toyota sells some connectors, or you may be able to get weatherproof connectors at an electronics or marine supply store. If the connectors come with pigtails, solder the connections, insulate with heat shrink tubing, and finish off with silicone tape. Silicone tape looks like electrical tape except that there is no adhesive - it works like shrink-wrap.

Reply to
Ray O

Do you care if the connectors match the originals? If you do, you may be in trouble.... standard GM and Ford connectors are available from most local auto parts places; you cut off the old one, crimp pins on (and be SURE to use the correct crimp tool, which is often not cheap), and go. For an '89 Toyota they may be dealer parts if available at all.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of standard industry connectors like AMP Mate-N-Lock and Molex types available from an electronics supply house like Digi-Key. If you install them in your Toyota, you will find that if you, say, replace your voltage regulator five years from now, you will have to cut the standard connector off of it and put your new nonstandard one on. But that might not be so bad.

I once rewired a Datsun 210 completely, after all the wiring harnesses turned to goo, and I used military surplus A&N connectors. Solid as hell, and probably will outlast the car by a century.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If you can figure out who made the connectors, you can get new mating bodies. Or buy the "damage repair harnesses" to get new bodies, and there are pin extractors to take the pins out of the old ones. You can make a chart of which wires go where, use the pin extractor to pull all the pins from the old body, then snap them into the new body. (Might have to crimp on a few new pins where he old ones are damaged during extraction, but the new bodies usually come with a new set of pins.)

I've done that on a few Molex electronic connectors where the Nylon gets brittle with age and heat exposure.

Been there, Done that, 63 Dodge Valiant. Don't try that now with an EFI car, there's just too damn many wires - makes the Apollo Capsule wiring look simple in comparison. (No, I didn't work on them, though I did see the landings. I'm not THAT old...)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman