2000 Exployer doing something WEIRD

Is that cranks but wont start? Or is that wont crank (turn over)? Any recent repairs? Any aftermarket accessories? Check engine light?

This guy phones his doctor and says "Doc.... my foot hurts....what's wrong?".

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not sure about the filter on the explorer, but if it's anything like my

99 F-150 and your looking for the easy clips you just grab with pliers to take it off, forget it. If it's the same type, you need to get a special tool to change it out. It's actually not too bad and the tool is only a couple bucks, but I prefer the old spring clip types any day.

As far as your actual problem, I think you need to be the one that has the problem, and not your wife. (I should probably rephrase that) I mean that you yourself haven't had the issue, so it's hard when you just say it doesn't start for your wife in one location. Need some more info...Does it sound like it wants to start (flooded)? Is it getting spark? etc. What's different about the place at school than the other places? Is it sunny, shady, hot, cool, wet, dry in that spot vs. the other places?

IYM

Reply to
IYM

My BAD The engine turns over fine. It just does not start. About 10 15min it will start and not do again. This happened now 4 days in a row.. Happens no other time. Wife does park as she has done for years at the same place on a little hill. I has the gas pressure checked and it was 80

Reply to
Jack Valance

I'm not sure if Fords security chipped keys work the same way that Chevrolet do. I know that almost every Chevrolet I have driven, or friends that own one (in particular, late '90's or early '00's), have the problem with the worn out sensors in the ignition switch, that when it tries to read the chipped key and something goes bad, the car activates a 10 minute fuel system lockout and will not start until the system resets itself.

Now, as I said, what I am reffering to is Chevrolets Passkey system. I'm not sure if this is the way that Fords work or not. I know that Ford has not had nearly the trouble with their chipped keys/ignition switches that Chevrolet has. But from what you are describing, it sounds very similar and could be your problem. The sensor in the ignition tries to read the chipped key, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, and when it doesn't, it locks out the fuel system (or whatever Fords do) for a preset time and the vehicle will not start until the system resets. For the time being, if you have a second chipped key for that car, you could try switching them and see if the problem gets any better or worse. Also, it would be worth it to pick up a can of contact cleaner and give the inside of the ignition switch a good spray with it, with the idea being to try and clean the sensor.

To be honest, this is really just a guess, because I don't know for a fact that Fords security works like Chevrolet does. But, the symptoms are very similar, and it could very well be the culprit. Someone else with a bit more knowledge of Fords security may want to pipe in here (and possibly make a few corrections), but if I am on the right track, the first thing I would start checking is the wiring to the ignition switch. If at any time there has been an aftermarket security system or remote starter installed, that has now been removed, you want to make sure that when the device was removed, the wiring was buttoned up properly. Either crimped with proper butt connectors, or soldered and heatshrinked, and not just the wires twisted together with a strand of black tape wrapped around them. Also, check the keys themselves to see what type of condition they are in, as well as the ignition switch itself.

On a side note, when you put the key in the ignition, turn off the radio and carefully listen for the hum of the fuel pump. If you don't hear it every time, check the manual and see if you can locate the fuel pump relay. Because the vehicle still starts randomly, I would guess that the fuel pump itself is not dead, but you may want to have the wiring to it checked out as well.

Good luck and HTH, Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

By the way, are there any lights flashing or lighting up on the instrument panel, such as Theft System or Theft Lock, or similar? Any OTHER lights, such as the Check Engine Light?

How can you hear anything with that dinging going off when you turn that key.. Yesterday it did start when she left the key ON for 1 min. Does that mean it is something in the Gas Pump? weird just that only location in the world as we know it. "Sharky" wrote in message news:OcHhm.39247$Db2.17349@edtnps83... I'm not sure if Fords security chipped keys work the same way that Chevrolet do. I know that almost every Chevrolet I have driven, or friends that own one (in particular, late '90's or early '00's), have the problem with the worn out sensors in the ignition switch, that when it tries to read the chipped key and something goes bad, the car activates a 10 minute fuel system lockout and will not start until the system resets itself.