Assisted Return-to-Center - WTH?

What the heck do we need "Assisted" Return-to-Center for in power- steering systems??

See:

and

I thought that's what the correct combination of Caster & SAI were for. If I want anything to center my steering wheel after a turn, I want it to be the geometry of the car's suspension itself, NOT a COMPUTER or some servo motor!! Are these people kidding? I'm all for variable PS, but I don't need electronics interefering with Isaac Newton.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

What the heck do we need "Assisted" Return-to-Center for in power- steering systems??

See:

and

I thought that's what the correct combination of Caster & SAI were for. If I want anything to center my steering wheel after a turn, I want it to be the geometry of the car's suspension itself, NOT a COMPUTER or some servo motor!! Are these people kidding? I'm all for variable PS, but I don't need electronics interefering with Isaac Newton.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

_________________ Sorry, retardo-Google doubleposting for me again!

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Maybe

a) the e-power-steering actually has a design flaw in that it doesn't allow the steering geometry to self-center the steering, and this is just a band-aid for the flaw dressed up as a 'feature'

b) maybe they want to make the cars more agile, and this is necessary to make up for the loss of self-centering due to more 'aggressive' stering geomatry

c) maybe you can tweak out a skosh more MPG with steering geometry that won't self-center.

That's all I got

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp