Auto glass companies

Hi Groups,

I need a windshield replaced on my 1999 Subaru.

Does anyone have experience with "Auto Glass USA Inc." in the DC area?

I live in Virginia inside the Wash. DC Beltway and I often get a coupon in the "money mailer" package from them offering $150 off the deductible. They advertise a mobile service: they come to your location to do the work. Sounds a little suspect but apparently is a standard procedure.

I insure with Geico and they have an arrangement with a glass company called Safe Lite. Also a mobile service.

My deductible is $500 which, I'm told, likely exceeds the cost of a windshield replacement.

Comments appreciated, especially from any who have worked with these companies or can recommend others.

Thanks,

Arnie

Reply to
PanSynthesis

Your mistake is contacting an insurance company for a claim that hits probably $200-$300. First of all, just calling your agent to inquire about making a claim (you don't actually have to make a claim) goes on the Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange database as a claim.

Anything less than a $1000 you should take care of without notifying your insurance company.

Reply to
timbirr

Drive-up replacement is S.O.P. for people on the run. To be honest I would request that the glass company use original glass from Subaru. I've had problems with after-market glass being less than flat.

Reply to
John S.

don't actually have to make a claim) goes on the

Got a cite for that? According the ChoiceTrust, "C.L.U.E. Inc. will only have information on you if a loss was filed against your automobile insurance policy..."

**&p_li=There's nothing in their FAQ about logging calls to agents.

Reply to
elbesales

FYI, my stepdaughter just had to replace a windshield on a 2000 Regal (caused by an errant baseball).

She got two quotes in her home town, and I got one here locally. (1) $165 (2) $209 (3) $269

The local Buick dealership farms all its glass out to glass company (2).

At those prices, I wouldn't diddle with insurance.

Reply to
<HLS

Got a cite for that? According the ChoiceTrust, "C.L.U.E. Inc. will only have information on you if a loss was filed against your automobile insurance policy..." http://choicetrust-solutions.c usthelp.com/cgi-bin/choicetrust_solutio... There's nothing in their FAQ about logging calls to agents.

++++++++++++ I'm too lazy to look it up again. It was part of a long series on the insurance industry in the Houston Chronicle.
Reply to
timbirr

ot a cite for that? According the ChoiceTrust, "C.L.U.E. Inc. will only have information on you if a loss was filed against your automobile insurance policy..." http://choicetrust-solutions.c usthelp.com/cgi-bin/choicetrust_solutio... There's nothing in their FAQ about logging calls to agents. ______________________________

Oh, Ok, I drank some coffee and fired up the database. Here are acouple of articles I was able to dig up quickly. There are lots more. Surprised you haven't seen them, been in the news alot lately.

Copyright 2005 The Salt Lake Tribune Salt Lake Tribune (Utah)

May 1, 2005, Sunday

SECTION: Final; Pg. E1

AND:

Copyright 2003 The Bismarck Tribune, a division of Lee Enterprises, Inc. Bismarck Tribune (North Dakota)

November 19, 2003, Wednesday, METRO EDITION

SECTION: Pg. 9C

LENGTH: 565 words

Reply to
timbirr

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net writes in article dated 12 Jul 2005

10:21:32 -0700:

Back in 1995 I had the same problem with my 1988 Grand Am. I called around and found "American Auto Glass" (I think) who came to my house and replaced it for ~$160. They even transferred the stickers.

Use the yellow pages. Call around for quotes.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

Safe Lite brand of glass is crap that will crack within a month. Get the good stuff like the brands that GM and Ford use (PPG or Autolite if I remember correctly).

Reply to
scott_z500

Well, Google News returns a total of three articles that specifically include 'Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange', but one of them

your contention, and mentioned the Privacy RightsClearinghouse, which has this document about CLUE:

elbesales

Well, Google News returns a total of three articles that specifically include 'Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange', but one of them

ournalgazette/business/1211273 0.htm)confirmed your contention, and mentioned the Privacy RightsClearinghouse, which has this document about CLUE:
s/fs26-CLUE.htm

Reply to
timbirr

Mobile service for windshield replacement seems to be pretty standard. I had the windshield replaced on my 2002 Windstar Mini Van last month (something hit me on the highway causing a horizontal crack about 48" long). I used a company reccomended by a family member. I called on a Monday morning, they came on Tuesday morning to my house and handled the replacement within about 45 minutes. I had to wait 2 hours before I drove the van. I've had no problems whatsoever. I know that it cost about $300 for the replacement, but I didn't have to pay anything since here in CT glass replacement is automatically covered with no deductible (though I don't know if it will affect my rate at renewal).

Reply to
Tracey