Changing Plugs on a 2001 Northstar

I still have the original plugs at about 130,000 miles! (Don't tell me how much gas I've been wasting!) I took the plastic cover off the top of the engine. It doesn't look like I'm in for the usual plug-changing experience!! Would I be correct that four of the plugs are easily accessible, but that the other four would require access from under the car? Would it be better to have the plugs replaced by a professional? Thanks for the advice! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

No, you would not be able to reach anything from under the car. The front plugs are easy, you unplug the harness to the coil pack module, remove the bolts that hold the coil pack module to the valve cover and remove it. Pull the spark plug boots out (carefully) and remove the plugs. Back side is the same procedure, but there is some A.I.R. plumbing in the way. Just use common sense and remove only what you need to. If you have the Deville, it's a little tougher as it has a bit of the back firewall hanging over the engine, the Seville's are a bit more open. Use a good spark plug socket that will hold the spark plug in the socket....they are quite a ways down in the cylinder head.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian. I will look carefully tomorrow. I do have a Deville, unfortunately, and I did notice the firewall. You know I really haven't noticed my gas mileage getting worse. This engine does extremely well with highway driving, and I can't remember the last time I saw the mpg slip below 20! I would be changing the plugs only because the engine occasionally takes a few extra revs to start, and because it momentarily stalls on rare occasions. Would you think the plugs could be at fault? I can think of many other things that would cause this as well. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

With that many miles, I don't think the wires and filters owe you any more service? s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I have a random stall on my 1999 NorthStar Deville too. It usually occurs when it is raining or wet outside and the engine is cold.

I have not found a solution yet. The engine immediately restarts, but this may occur a couple of times before the engine is warmed up.

Rich

frank1492 wrote:

Reply to
Rich

Oh, yes, I have changed the plugs with no improvement in the stalling problem.

Rich

frank1492 wrote:

Reply to
Rich