Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
come in a car I just don't trust.
What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.
Thanks. Walter
Walter Cohen wrote:

You need three wheel chocks what ever jack you feel most comfortable using.
For me, a floor jack with at least a 16" lift was best.
A lot depends upon what vehicle you are lifting.
For my uses, a bottle jack just doesn't have enough lift.
There is no "one size fits all" answer.

Floor jack. Bottle jacks have small lift points, harder to position, shorter lift, and no give should the car move a quarter inch or so during the lift, all of which a floor jack makes a lot more forgiving. Besides, there being types made for the job.
Always block the other wheels, AT LEAST the wheel kitty-corner to the wheel you're lifting. If lifting a front wheel set the emergency brake. Always have car in Park for changing tires, never neutral. Jack stands not usually necessary for changing a tire but a good idea because "stuff" does happen. Only lift as far as necessary, never more.
Never hi jack,
Twayne
--
Twayne

Tired of MS Office and their shananigans?

What are you going to use when you get a flat elsewhere? The scissors jack works just fine. I've lifted up full-size vans on the "crappy standard equipment jack".

The jack that comes with the car is for changing tires. What's wrong with that?

You can get floor jack and jack stands combo. They are cheap.
Bob Jones wrote:

Agree with the floor jack and jackstands, disagree with the cheap. The 20-buck specials tend to leak down, even when almost brand new. I'm sure most are made in China these days, but look for one that isn't visibly leaking past the seals, and has some fit and finish to it. It shouldn't look like a blacksmith made it out back. As to the jackstands- stuff that can kill you is no place to cut corners. No cheap cast ones, no spot-welded thin stamped metal ones. Nothing that shows any bare metal that will rust, especially in joints.
aem sends...

Those floor jacks do leak. That's why you don't work under the car without jack stands. I have not heard jack stands falling apart as long as they are in good condition and used as intended.
get a good floor jack bottle jacks have their place but are less safe
Walter Cohen wrote:

Bottle jack is easier to store, and you can take it with you when you travel...
If you're talking cars and light trucks under one ton, then a floor jack will be of great use.

Ok - thanks to all for your suggestions!
Walter

Walter Cohen wrote:

If you want it for use at your home then get a good floor jack and a couple of good jack stands. Bottle jacks tend to slip and most are tall enough that they make it hard to find a good spot to jack on as well. If your only doing a flat once in a while you could go with one of the cheaper jack/stand kits like they sell at most auto parts stores or even at Wal~Mart. They will work as long as you pay attention. Now if you plan on doing tire rotations, oil changes and other work under the vehicle than move up to a heavy duty floor jack and a better set of jack stands. Either way DO NOT GO UNDER THE VEHICLE SUPPORTED ONLY BY THE JACK.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

The scissors jacks are more trustworthy then a hydraulic jack and probably more stable then a bottle jack would be. They also start out LOW and have a large amount of lift. Sometimes when you get a flat you don't even have room to get a bottle or hydraulic jack under the car.

Get a Craftsman 3-Ton Floor Jack. It will lift your daughters Focus, the wifes minivan, your momma's Town Car, your Suburban and the neighbor's Excursion.
Good Luck
harryface (Jackin' Cars since 1980-Craftsman 2-ton jack here)