Basic Gas Cap Question

I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer, I bought a gas cap with a lock (unfortunately I need one in my neighborhood). The gas cap keeps making my check engine light come on, since it is not the factory cap, it is showing as being loose. Is there any simple fix to prevent the light from coming on (other than putting the old cap back on)?

Thanks.

Check Out My Site:

drivewithclass

Are you sure you have the right locking cap?

Reply to
clifto

You have bought a vented cap. You need a non-vented cap. The system uses a slight bit of vacuum on the tank for the vapor return, and if it can't get it, that light will say so.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Is this an aftermarket locking gas cap that clicks when it's supposed to be locked tight enough? If so, try tightening past 3 clicks, rather than just stopping at the first click. If the Check Engine light persists, then replace the gas cap.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

see if gm offers a locking cap

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: