Basic Tire Pressure Inflation Question

you bring your own results to the table nate. most people are happy to help, even if they don't speak the same language as you. it all depends on how you go about asking for what you want. even in a gas station.

Reply to
jim beam

i think you'll find that's the concession the lawmakers give in return for making it obligatory - ignorance allows the gas stations to make money rather than comply with a law at their own expense.

Reply to
jim beam

My Porsche 944 used a collapsible spare tire and a 12V inflator was part of the factory toolkit. I actually had to use it once and it worked fine, albeit slowly, FWIW.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sadly, I don't believe that that is true. A lot of people are just looking for an excuse to screw with someone, for no better reason than they just aren't nice people.

Usenet is a perfect example... I'm sure you can think of a couple examples of people like that who are still around for some reason.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

examine the logic - you own a store where the public are supposed to buy stuff from you so you can make money. your ability to succeed depends, to a large degree, on your success in being able to execute that transaction in a way where the customer returns and will do it again. if it's a bad experience, they won't come back so you go out of business

- those that remain in business, by definition, have some measure of evolutionary survival skill.

in retail, that's rare. they just want to be treated with a little respect. if they treat you bad, it's almost certainly because you're bringing something to the transaction that they're tuning in to - particularly if your experience is "they're all like that".

try not wearing the teeshirt with "kick me" written on it and see how many jerks you then encounter. i'll bet it's a whole lot fewer.

Reply to
jim beam

SNIP>>>

Alarmist??? This information comes directly from the maker of some of these

12 Volt air compressors within their "Warning" comments. If you happen to have one of these compressors and do blow a fuse--what do you do--plug in that spare that you're carrying for that eventuality? What makes you think that the second fuse won't blow as did the first one?? Would you want to be stuck on the road with a low or flat tire compounded with an additional burden of needing a fuse? How many people even know where to look for the fuse (location)? Give me a bicycle pump any day--good in any low,flat tire emergency. Good for bringing the spare tire up to pressure when you need it on the road. MLD
Reply to
MLD

agreed on the function - i carry one. you can buy a cheapo foot pump for

Reply to
jim beam

What state is this? I want to pay special attention if I'm every there.

Reply to
micky

Part of the problem is that different countries, and even diferent parts of the same country often have differences on what is polite and what isn't what is necessary to be gracious and what isn't.

So a nasty person from a place where the minimum standard of graciousness might appear nicer than a generous person from a place where brusqueness is the norm.

For example, NYC has a reputation of being unfriendly, but when they see someone who needs help, they are eager to help. On my first trip to NYC, all I did is pull out a map when I was on the subway and 4 people offered to help. When hit a hidden pothole and fell off my bike on Myrltle Ave. in downtown Brookly, people came from 3 directions to see if I was all right. But when they dont' see someone in need, they "mind their own business", and visitors see this as unfriendly.

When they move somewhere else, it takes years or decades to change habits.

Some people with Minnesota Nice have habits that appear nice, but they aren't.

Usenet definitly brings out the worst in a lot of people. People are into snappy rebukes, and I, who would never say such t hings in person, find myself being short, curt sarcastic, and all but insulting on Usenet. Other group, anonymous media might be the same way.

Reply to
micky

That doesn't mean it's not alarmist. Manufacturers warn about everything these days, including things that don't deserve warnings. A DVDR might have 3 pages of warnings.

They are scared of lawsuits,

My favorite was on a Superman costume. "CAUTION: Cape does not enable the wearer to fly."

It depends. If it blew after 5 minutes, the next time I would run the pump for only 3 minutes and then let it cool. If it blew right away, I might use my can of tire inflator, compressed air and gooey stuff.

But as I said before, I dont' believe it will ever blow a fuse. Hls is speaking theoretically, I believe, iin that any electrical advice could possibly blow a fuse. But we still use the headlights and the heater fan.

Once I was in a suit going to a very important meeting, and I would get dirty changing the tire. It had a hole. Pumping it up woudlnt' work. So I drove a tenth of a mile on the rim, to a gas station. I hoped I wouldn't ruin the tire but I did.

After that, I started to carry the tire patch/inflator. Where I lived before, I got more flats. I carried one can, but quickly realized if I used it, I'd have no can, and I'd have to buy another immediately. Then I carried two cans and I quickly realized, if I used one, I'd have only one can left, and I'd already decided that one can wasn't enough. So for 10 or 20 years I carried 3 cans. That was enough. Now that I get flats only every 5 or 10 years, I'm down to one can.

Another time, while I was in the hospital, the car had been parked without one of the hubcaps, in the snow, for a month. In the spring, I had a flat tire at Newark Airport. The nuts were rusted on and I broke 4 studs out of 5 removing them. What to do? 6PM Sunday; couldn't still be here on Monday morning. I put the spare on with one nut, and took local roads the Holland Tunnel, slowly. The car was fine when going straight ahead or to the left, but went clump, clump, clump when turning to the right. Should I try to go through the tunnel? Okay, and I made it fine, but the last stud broke a half-mile later on Beach St. just before Broadway. What to do? I jacked up the car, put the tire back on, and drove, but didn't make 6 inches. Did it again, made 6 feet. Did it again, made it 20 feet to the corner, turned left, up Broadway the wrong way 100 feet, turned left, over the curb, into the parking lot. I still can't believe it.

140 feet and two turns with nothing holding on the wheel.

The next time, the shop put the nuts on too tight, but I was only a mile from a gas station, so agailn I drove on the tire, and again I ruined it.

People capable of bringing a pump or a can of Flat-Fix should know where their fuse box is. Just like cavemen should know where their spare spear is.

That's fine, but don't tell us that other methods are riskier than they are.

Reply to
micky

Owning a gas station is not like owning a gold mine. If it were, more people would be buying gas stations, and the price of gas stations would go up, and the lost interest on the investment to buy the gas station would again make sure that gas station was no gold mine.

It's not wear and tear on the compressor, even if they say that. It's trying to make more money while not losing customers. That's what everyone does, except a few starry-eyed idealists.

(I did have one gas station owner, 40 years ago, who told me that the cost of raising a car and lowering on the lift was 1 dollar. That he needed to have the lift refurbished every 1000 times it ran, at the cost of 1000 dollars. I have major doubts it would need it that often, even 40 years ago.

Reply to
micky

Ah, but for a tire pump you wouldn't have busted your nuts!!! MLD

Reply to
MLD

Clever, but like I say the tire had a leak. I'm sure I used a can or two of the aeroal Fix-a-Flat, and I saw it come right out. Well, I['m pretty sure. It's been 30 years.

I left the car in the parking lot Sunday night and went to Atlantic wheel and rim t he next day for stud and lug nuts. It's a good thing I like to talk, because I told the guy the problem and he said "Nobody uses a press to push out the broken studs and no one uses a press to install the new ones. Use a hammer and a drift to knock out the old ones, and pull in the new ones by tightening the lug nuts.

Took the train from Brooklyn to NYC and it took under an hour to fix the car. The lot manager wanted to charge me for 3 places for the whole day -- and indeed, I was parked sideways across 3 spots and usually all his customers got there by 8:45, but I thought 3 was too mcuh and he selttled for 1.5 times the daily rate. It was only 10 or

  1. The spots were next to the sidewalk and he may well have rented all of them by the end of the day.
Reply to
micky

Way, way too much information---Apparently you not only talk too much but you write too much. Next time, ask yourself--do they really care? If not, find someone who does. MLD MLD

Reply to
MLD

I have owned a lot of old used vehicles before.One of them had a broken stud when I bought it.I used a big hammer and a punch and I knocked out the broken stud and replaced it with a new one.It was easy. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

__________________ My principle is that air has been complimentary at gas terminals for as long as there have been gas terminals. This trend to charge even

50cents for air is only during the last 10 years - if that.

It's

WRONG

PERIOD.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

I agree that it's wrong. I just don't think it's greedy.

Reply to
micky

That is automatic here. The people who care continue reading and the ones who don't, stop. Some people like my stories. You might too if I thought hand or foot pumps were much better than electric pumps.

Reply to
micky

Most of the time it's easy. Don't try it on an old Studebaker without a swage cutter!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

.

SNIP SNIP Some people like your stories??-- they have to be in a hypnotic state with glazed eyes and too polite to say anything--The rest (has to be most of them) must walk away rolling their eyes and shaking their heads--and you must wonder why!! MLD

Reply to
MLD