Basic Tire Pressure Inflation Question

Yes, alarmist! Do you think your're going to be stuck on the road simply because your cigarette lighter fuse blows???

Chill.

Reply to
hls

Careful with those "big hammers" people. Every time you smack a stud you're transferring that to your suspension and especially your wheel bearings.

Better to Push it Out of the hub.

I use a MASSIVE C-Type device that weighs about 15 pounds that has a ball screw 1 inch in diameter. It's called a 3-in-1 Service Kit for: ball joint service Universal joint service Truck brake anchor pin service

and I just added "Stud Removal Service"

I bought it to handle the lugs on my previous 3,800 lb vehicle. The thought of damaging anything in the wheel/steering/suspension system tells me to not use a big f*ing hammer.

You might get the broken studs out but at what price to the rest of the vehicle? This is the cheap and safe way.

Lg

Reply to
Nicholas

Besides, where did all this alarmist hype come from?. All I said was that the use of a 12V compressor can cause a fuse to blow. Big deal, nothing exciting about that. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Why did you make such an issue of it, then? A blown cigar lighter fuse is NOTHING, compared to spending the night in the boonies with a flat tire.

Reply to
hls

Why would you spend the night? If it was nice weather and no real danger fine, stay and fix the problem in the AM. If it's a bad situation, do what you have to do to fix the tire or just drive on the flat if you have to.

Reply to
Steve W.

___________ The point is ordinary folks shouldn't have to have compressors installed in their cars. The point is charging for air is wrong! And most people just "rolled over" and accepted it, just like they accepted Iraq, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and the tax code.

If people would just say, "Hey what's this, you're charging me to top off my tires? Fine - I'll get my gas and FREE air elsewhere" - when it is possible to do so - change would come, believe me. People are just so caugh up in living their own lives today, trying to get by, that they give little thought to the pennies, quarters, dollars, fives, and ten - Get my point?? - that they're pissing away.

seriously...

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

_________________ No kidding. Politicians and the oil companies have been bed-fellows since time out of mind!

But remember this jim: Nothing lasts forever.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

com...

_______________

Geeeez. I simply point out that (1) gas station air should remain free as it always was and (2) in America what language you speak no longer matters and we're now on this tangent?

Amazing. A thread about inflating tires now has more offshoots than a desert cactus! LOL

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

______________ Getting back to basics, Mike, yes, what I do is overinflate my tires the evening before. Never over what is stated on the tire, maybe

34psi at most. Then in the morning, before i head out, I deflate them down to the correct cold pressure according to the sticker on my door pillar or owners manual. Nothing wrong with overinflating then backing down to correct pressures, as long as you wait until the tires are cooled off before performing the second step. ;)

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

"jim beam" wrote in message news:j91mtb$lm5$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org...

What state are you in? I am sure there is no law in North Carolina like that. To push the road safety necessity angle to an extreme - aren't good tires, brake fluid, and even gasoline road safety necessities? Don't kill me for saying this, I know it is a ridiculous example, but the point is, that forcing gas stations to give something away beacsue they are "road safety necessities" seem pretty open ended. When I was growing up, all the stations gave away really good road maps as well. Now they cost a couple of bucks if a store selling gas has maps at all.

It seem to me that requiring people to give stuff away for free is anti-capitalism. I agree free air used to be the norm, but so were real service stations with guys that come out and checked your oil and wiped your windshield. Around where I live, most stations have at the most one attendant, and the only time you see him is when you go buy a pack of gum or a lottery ticket.Less than 50% of the stations even have the coin operated air pumps. I suppose if you can get into the rest room, you can still get free water, but you'll need to bing your own container. Heck one station near me is open 24 hours, but unmanned after 9pm at night until around 9 am.

I always tried to support the stations that have free air by buying gas from them. Unfortunately, the last station near me removed their compressor a few years back. The owner got tired of all the jerks who used his free air and then just left the hose lying in the parrking lot, or worse yet, yanking on it hard enough to crack the hose where it was connected to the hard line (and they often bought nothing). In an enviroment where you have actual gas attendants and/or a repair facility along with pumps, I don't think the cost of providing free air to gas customers is significant. However, for the typical convenience store with gas pumps as we have around here, there is no free air. To provide air the store would neeed to buy a compressor, maintain the compressor, and pay for the electricity to run the compressor. I suppose if they thought this would allow them to make more money on sales, they would consider providing free air. But, do you really think most people would go to a particualr store becasue they had free air, other than on the day they needed the free air and even then, would they buy anything? I currently know of only two stations within 30 miles that have free air. And the last time I stopped at one of them, someone had yanked the hose off, so it was shut down (it is a conveinence store without repair facilities - I have no idea why they even bother to keep the compressor - it is left over from a time many years ago when it was an actual "service" station).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I suggest that instead of buying a small compressor that uses the cigarette lighter for power, you buy one of the better ones that include battery clip-ons. No need to worry about the cigarette lighter fuse in that case. And if you already have a compressor, buy one of the convertors that provides battery clips on one end and a cigarette lighter socket on the other.

I've kept a small compressor in my truck for years. I have this one:

It is good enough to top up farm equipment tires.

And here is a listing for a battery clip to cigarette lighter adapter:

My sister keeps one of the batttery booster / air compressor things in her trunk.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

blah blah blah.

jim beam

Been free at service stations. Have not seen any free at gas stations. Don't like the ones with no gauge. Had to watch the trailer tire last summer as it filled.

I try to keep a can of tire filler in all vehicles, and a compressor.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

e: