Brake light history.

In driving home today I noticed a string of brake lights come on when a light ahead changed, and got to wondering- when was the brake light developed for cars? Obviously it had to wait till auto electrical systems came into use, but how soon after that?

When I learned to drive in the fifties, turn signals were just coming along- I believe they started in Europe. But even older cars had brake lights, so it must have been earlier than the forties.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

"Don Stauffer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4c02859d$0$87075$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

I have some German historic documents from 1924 until 1938. Find the first description in a schematic drawing from 1938.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Thanks, Ralf.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

There have been lights of one form or another in use for longer than that, but I am not sure when *two* brake lights, one on each side of the car, became standard practice. Most older implementations were a single brake/running light.

Oddly enough, directional signals were still an option as late as 1955 (according to my Studebaker shop manual, parts book, etc.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel