Brake light problem, 2000 Jetta GLS

Ok, here's the deal. My two rear brake lights (left and right) will not work. The center one, on the rear windshield, does. All other tail lights and signals work fine too. First, obviously, I tried to change the bulbs. No go. The bulbs are fine. Second, I had the brake light switch replaced under the recall. Still no go, same situation. The brake switch is fine. Then I checked the fuse, as hard as that was with the little heiroglyphics. The fuse is good. Any ideas?

Reply to
Chris Kaminski

check to see where the wires split going to the different lights, it might be a case where you have two sets of wires coming off the switch and one of them is ulplugged. or you might have a ground problem going to the rear lights.

hope this helps matt

Reply to
187

it sets me int he right direction if nothing else. Just curious how the wires may have come ungrounded if you have any ideas.

Reply to
Chris Kaminski

after following 187's advice, try posting your question to the watercooled group. those folks are way more knowledgeable about your car than us aircooled folks...., but an electrical system is an electrical system...if you have power to one of three brakelights and all bulbs are good, you have lost a connection somewhere.....either the positive or the ground..... a simple testlight and a helper could help you out here....good luck

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

my bad, i subscribed to the wrong group :)

Reply to
Chris Kaminski