Brake light problem on 2000 Jetta GLS

Ok, here's the deal. My two rear brake lights (left and right) will not work. The center one, on the rear windshield, does. All other tail lights
and signals work fine too. First, obviously, I tried to change the bulbs. No go. The bulbs are fine. Second, I had the brake light switch replaced under the recall. Still no go, same situation. The brake switch is fine. Then I checked the fuse, as hard as that was with the little heiroglyphics. The fuse is good. Any ideas?

with a meter, pull the bulbs out and check for 12V in the center tab in the bulb socket when the brakes are applied. confirm or eliminate that as the issue before proceeding further.
If the car is a hatchback, then I suggest you look for a broken wire (or nearly broken) in the wiring harness that goes from the car to the top hinge of the hatch. Poke a new wire or lay it alongside the harness to parallel the brake light cable. For that you will need to find out its colour. At the same time double up the brown earth return at the same time.

It's a Jetta. Jettas aren't hatchbacks (well unless it's a wagon I guess).
Liek another poster responded, it isn;t a hatchback. But you got teh problem right Took quite a bit of work but I got the wiring repaired.

lights
fine.

Site Timeline