Bumper dent estimate

Hi, recently some idiot parked behind my car in my own driveway as he was visiting my roomate, and unsuspecting that any car would ever be behind me and blocking my driveway... I backed out at about 5mph and left a crack in his front bumper.

My 2002 Explorer left a nice indent / crack of my tow hitch on his

2003 Toyota Highlander front bumper. So figure the crack is an indent of 4"x4" at most.

My question is: how much will this end up costing me? what's the cheapest way of getting this repaired?

I obviously don't care much about quality as much as I do just getting this guy to shut up.

I have a picture and I'm willing to send a scan of it to anyone who is nice enough to offer their assistance.

Thank you very much in advance... if anyone ever needs computer help, check me out in comp.sys.---

Amar

Reply to
Amar

I worked on a 2003 Civic silver new bumper. No matter how hard I try to get it factory perfect, the guy supplying the paint can't get any high quality paint than what he can provide. I laugh at my work but the customer was more than satisfied. Customer paid me $850 for work.

The cheapest way is for you is to buy a bumper, sand with 400 grit, prime and sand it again. Have a pro paint it. Paint kit cost $100. Buy the paint too.

By the way I need comp help. I'll try comp.sys. Indi

Reply to
Indian Summer

Kind of hard to miss something the size of a Highlander behind you... There may be more than one idiot at work here. Since you are obviously at fault, The only cheap way out of this is to talk really fast and get the guy to accept a cheap repair. He is totally within his rights to make you take it to Toyota and demand all new factory parts. Basically you have no say in the matter. Its up to him.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Here's my story: My fender was hit by a no license plate car that took off. I caught the guy. Turns out to be a neighbor. They're constantly implying, "Get lost, we got no cash." My bimmer inccurred a cost of $1700. I didn't do the fender work yet because no paint store can gaurantee and exact precision in color paint quality. About the restitution, if they don't have they don't pay, what kind of a law is this? Indi

Reply to
Indian Summer

They don't have liability insurance? If you can prove they are at fault, there is always the court system (possibly small claims court is available to you).

As for the body work - at least in my area there are plenty of high end body shops that should be able to fix you BMW just like new.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

They stole the car.

They signed an agreement. (Don't know where I put the papers.) With 10 kids to feed they have no assets. To take the bricks off my shoulders I just gonna write it off as a donation.

Shop asking $2000. Damage is not that obvious, a bad paint job will. Plus it's a bad economy. BMW (Break My Wallet) :-(

Reply to
Indian Summer

One other thing, use plastic primer. Other primer could come off if flex hard enough.

Reply to
Indian Summer

Is it not possible to just do a patch job on the crack and then a repaint? I got an estimate so far of $200 for the bumper, and $400 for the repaint. Auto insurance is ridiculous since I have a $500 deductable and plus anytime I need the crap my rates go up. How worthless.

As for the crash itself, it was at 2am in a driveway with no lighting. The Highlander being a Dark Green. After looking out the front and then turning to look out the back, there's temporary blindness from looking into the light then dark. It's an honest mistake and the bottom line is there shouldnt have been anyone parked in my driveway at 2am.

Reply to
Amar

Yes, you can patch it, I didn't realized the severity. Some shop charge the same for patch and new. The shape of a patch is noticeable to a trained eye but if it's a crack it won't be noticeable.

I agree that they took the risk to park in your drive way they ought to pay for their misfortunes. Ind

Reply to
Indian Summer

Good thing there was not a person walking behind his vehicle either. That would be the third idiot.

Reply to
MaxAluminum