2000 Corolla Rear Bumper Cover Dent

Looking for some help please :)

I have a 2000 Corolla LE and a couple of years ago, accidentally the rear bumper cover got dented in while trying to back out of a tight parking spot. Initially didn't think of doing anything about it - sort of visual reminder of live and learn. However have come to the realization that I do need to pop the dent out. I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on fixing this issue. I have been told to use a hair dryer but cannot think of why a hair dryer would do anything - i know the obvious about it makes the cover pliable to remold but not as it would apply to this situation.

Thanks in advance ! :)

Brian

Reply to
Tracker

Remove the rear bumper assembly. Detach the cover from the underlying foam backing. Heat it from behind with the hair dryer so that you feel a bit of warmth on the outside. Push out the bump with your hand.

The heat should keep the paint from cracking.

Put it all together and have a beer for saving yourself money.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

May not work in your case, but I treated somewhat the same issue like this. I imagined the dent was a big zit. Pressed in from either edge of the "zit" and the dent popped out. If you look very closely you can see some sort of evidence of what happened, but it's pretty faint.

A body shop will charge you about $350-$400, at least the three I asked....

Reply to
timbirr

Now the million dollar (euro, yen etc) question - and I know I will be told to go to an auto store to buy the manual, but I will ask anyhow :)

How do I remove the rear bumper assembly :)

Thanks for the quick replies !!

Brian

Gary L. Burnore wrote:

=B3=B3=DD=DB=BA=DD=B3=DE=B3=BA=DD=B3=DD=B3=DE=B3=BA=DD=B3=DD=DD=DB=B3

=B3=B3=DD=DB=BA=DD=B3=DE=B3=BA=DD=B3=DD=B3=DE=B3=BA=DD=B3=DD=DD=DB=B3

=B3=B3=DD=DB=BA=DD=B3=DE=B3=BA=DD=B3=DD=B3=DE=B3=BA=DD=B3=DD=DD=DB=B3

4 9 3 0 =DB=B3

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D

Reply to
Tracker

If you want further assistance, you'll have to stop top posting.

You'll see the bolts by laying on your back and sliding under the back of your car. (Assuming you don't have a lift). For best results, lift your car and place it on JACK STANDS. Don't use those driveup ramp tools unless your insurance is paid up.

BTW, you really should just buy the Toyota manual. Not the crappy one at an auto parts store. Get it from Toyota. You'll be glad you did.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Why would someone want help from you if conditions like these are required. Get over your desire to control other people and how they communicate. If you don't like the way they post then just ignore them. Better yet, add them to your killfile and you'll never be bothered again.

Reply to
badgolferman

All,

Thanks for the help. I apologize for "top posting" :)

Thnx

Brian

Reply to
Tracker

Turn off the invective! Jeez, he wasn't even talking to you.

Most people only need a simple hint to remind them that this isn't "Jeopardy!" and the Original Poster is not Alex Trebek. The questions are supposed to come /before/ the answers in a normal conversation.

And most people only need to be reminded once to put their cursor in the right spot before they start typing their reply, they "get it", and Usenet is a much nicer place for everyone.

It's only the insufferable curmudgeons and trolls that get rude about it. Do you really want to be placed in one of those categories?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You are right, Bruce. I was replying to a curmudgeon and acted as one. I will be more gentlemanly next time. Thank you for the wake up call.

Reply to
badgolferman