Bushing Installation Question

My first car was a '68 Ranchero (Fairlane front half). So yes. Much more than I care to remember ;-)

The Spring and shock were mounted above the upper A

Except for the fact that the bottom mount of the shock (combined with the lower spring bucket) was on a pivot, so the first thing it did when you unbolted it was slam sideways as the coil spring tried to twist its way out of the mount. It also kept pressure on the two lower shock bolts all... the... way.... out... so that loosening and tightening them was a pain- no such thing as running the bolt in with your fingers and then wrenching the last two turns. Since the shock itself was what held the spring and lower bucket in alignment, the system also kept constant side-loading on the shock mechanism and on the top shock bushings causing both to wear out extremely fast. I've seen much WORSE examples of poor serviceability on cars (a Toyota PCV valve that requires removal of the intake manifold, for example). But the Ford front suspension was still a pain, and despite the fact that it was intended to be compact it STILL took up 10 times as much space under the hood as, for example, Mopar torsion-bar suspension.

Reply to
Steve

The reason I think you had those problems is because of a lack of support at the lower control arm. It has been a long time since I last replaced shocks on my '73 ford but as I remember I placed a support under the brake drum (a jack under the lower control arm/ball joint would have worked just as well) that then supported the suspension so the spring was held in place. The shock simply unbolted and I bolted in the new one. I don't recall any difficulty.

Reply to
Brent

"Chris F." wrote in news:4979e477$0$5494 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.aliant.net:

I don't know. Anybody else know how long those last?

Reply to
Tegger

Will cost as much as OEM but likely last as long. Konis at least will likely be stiffer than OEM. Bilstein stiffness depends on which model you choose.

I am a big believer in both brands, now Sachs/Boge or KYB, not so much.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The front suspension of which is an easy driveway rebuild, if you have an arbor press. Love old MoPars.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Dunno, the OEM Beilstein's on one of my cars lasted 20 years, the ones on the other had to be replaced after 18 years and 270,000 miles. Since these were the original ones shipped with the car, they may be different than the replacement ones. Ask me in another 20 years.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The bilsteins I put on my mustang were good for 80K on the front. The rears are still going. over 100k now I think.

Reply to
Brent

Steve wrote in news:HZqdnb9WfOE7TOTUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

Can't speak for the Falcon, but my daddy's '70 Ford Custom 500 had a front suspension that did bear a visual resemblance to the Honda setup. The big difference was that the Ford shock assembly didn't incorporate the lower spring seat, whereas the Honda one did. The Ford's spring bore against the lower A-arm instead. Both setups used the inner fender as the upper spring seat.

Reply to
Tegger

Steve wrote in news:7IGdncd2XsMol- fUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

Hey, the old torsion bar design! I once had a '76 Coronet with that.

The beauty of the torsion bar setup was that when the rear leaves began sagging, you could use a 15/16" socket to dial the front torsion bars down so the car sat level again, and prospective buyers of your car could be convinced that the suspension was A-OK.

And no, I wasn't a perpetrator of that particular fraud, I was a victim.

Reply to
Tegger

My recollection is many years old too, but my memory is that you wanted to let the suspension hang free, then *just* barely lift the LCA to take the shock out of tension but leave as little compression as possible on the coil spring. No matter what you did, the spring bucket/shock mount on the UCA would tilt sideways without the shock, so re-installing was a PITA. But it was worse with the LCA supporting the weight of the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve

Oh not the weight of the vehicle... just a support that kept it from being fully extended. like you say just a little compression.

Reply to
Brent