can't get OBDII reader to work

Foxwell NT301 OBDII code reader

Worked fine a year ago.

In my trunk for a year, but car is white so it doesn't get that hot, doesn't get that cold because it's Maryland.

Now, no matter what button I push I get the One-Click I/M ReadinessKey report.

I'd like to get DTCs, trouble codes!

Apparently a CD came with it, but I can't find that, so maybe I can DL the software from Foxwell. Can't find it, can only find update software.

OKay, that's good enough.

I download the NTWonder update file, but it's named NT+Wonder+Installer_NT301_V5.20_20171107.pdf

It's labeled a PDF file, but it it won't display as a pdf file, or at all, in either of two pdf readers.

So I rename it to be an .exe file. Then it won't run "on this computer", windows 10.

Before I write to them, I wanted to see if you guys know what I am, or they are, doing wrong. ???

Foxwell seems to be a respected company, and this device has a 4.5 rating out of 5 on over 12,000 ratings.

OTOH, one guy who gave it 1 star says "Tech support on the manufacturer's website is a joke at best with broken links or updates." That's what I've got, a broken update, and I also came across this page

that says

DEAR CUSTOMER Thank you very much for visiting our website. Please note that we have two websites, but you have no access to both websites with your account** due to technical reasons. You have to register** on one of the two websites according to the actual situation. Should you have any issues, please feel free to contact us snipped-for-privacy@foxwelltech.com

**But there is no way to register or log in!! Sound like some madman fiddles with their website in the middle of the night.
Reply to
micky

Check out an auto parts store. Many will scan your car free.

Reply to
Hank Rogers

Well, okay, but I'd still like to get the device I paid $65 for to actually work.

But I did solve the problem. It was my mistake, but combined with some very confusing web info by Foxwell that I describe above. The Australian version of their website was a lot more clear and had a proper version of NT Wonder to download.

Reply to
micky