Car does not start and brake pedal resists.

I have a 1988 Honda Civic. Recently it has started giving me problems when I try to start it up. The engine does seem to try but it just wont start. Also, the brake pedal resists being pushed (note: engine isn't switched on yet). I have to give it a couple of attempts with the gas and then it starts on the 5th or 6th try. Other times, there's no problem at all. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Not enough information here and I'm not familiar whether that has any brake power assist. If it does then the pedal will ease up when the engine starts and that is normal. Start up is a separate issue: tune-up maintenance issues, fuel pump, filter, check valve, leaky injector. If there's black smoke on start-up then maybe a leaky injector. Try just turning the key on without hitting the starter for 6 times. That should allow the fuel pump to run a couple seconds each time and presurize the system. Then turn the key all the way and see if it starts. That would lead you in the direction of a leak down in fuel pressure problem or pump.

Reply to
Tomcat14

Reply to
phil w