Car vs. Deer - Car 1, Deer 1

Hey guys... Got a question inspired by recent events - As in yesterday morning recent.

I'm heading for the home stretch of my newspaper route, tooling along at about 40-ish through a series of gentle S-turns posted for the double-nickel, when I round a left-hand bend, and catch sight of a deer up on the embankment on the left. (Probably 10-15 feet above the road)

At the same instant I spot her, she takes a literal flying leap, and touches down a couple of feet on my side of the center line - *MAYBE* 5 feet in front of my bumper. Needless to say, neither braking nor dodging was an option, and I took her out - hard. Caught her perfectly broadside, almost dead-center of the car, flipped her ass over teakettle and up over the roof, then lost sight of her as I started braking and looking for a place to pull off and inspect the damage.

After finding out that I'd lost the whole driver's side light cluster (headlight, marker, and turn signal) and the entire grille, along with picking up some mashed in bodywork that had the hood jammed shut in exchange, but no other damage visible, went looking to find out if I needed to finish her off, or if the hit had been enough to kill her outright. Found the carcass down the embankment, *VERY* definitely dead upon closer inspection, so went back to the car and assessed my options. After looking things over again, decided that the damage was more cosmetic than functional, and drove off, keeping a close eye on the gauges. (worried mainly about a punched radiator - Looks like that worry was needless - So far, anyway)

So today, I've been busy pulling the front clip, beating the mashed in sections back out, replacing lights, etc. (This is a $300-ish beater-mobile, so it isn't worth doing anything more with it)

What I'm wondering now is "is there anything else I should be worried about?" - As far as I can tell, the damage didn't "penetrate" far enough to do more than squash half a dozen or so fins on the AC condenser, but I'm wondering if a jolt like that (pretty substantial - From wrestling her out of the brush she landed in so that I could get a good look at her, I'd estimate she was somewhere in the 90-120 pound range) could have messed up anything else that I should be taking a look at.

Anybody?

(No, I didn't take her home - All four legs broken in multiple places, skull crushed, chest completely caved in, pelvis destroyed, insides leaking out through the mangled pelvis - Basically, nothing left worth even trying to salvage as venison - never mind that doing so would count as poaching around here, and let's not even consider the bloody mess it would have made of the inside of the car.)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Firstly, my condolences for the Dear deer. I've had to finish other people's handiwork when they just hit and ran. It wasn't pleasant, and will remain in my mind for eternity.

Nextly, you're lucky the deer went OVER the car. On a friends VW, it went through the windshield, brain damaging the female passenger forever.

As to the vehicle, hell if it is a $300 beater, just DRIVE it. Make it legal by putting some lights on it somewhere and drive it. Nobody cares about the *looks* of a beater, even the owner. If it runs OK, it runs OK. BTDT.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Damn, daniel, I needed that! Thanks!!!

(I wonder which newsreader is mis-handling the accented character? Yours, or mine? Or maybe the 'net is mangling it in transit?)

Reply to
Don Bruder

You need to get a deer whistle, often called deer repeller or deer sonic avoidance. They make passive ones that work with airflow (kind of work) that are cheap, and active ones that plug into the vehicle electrical system and cost about $60 or so. They mount on the front bumper.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Once it's "driveable" again, take it to a frame/alignment shop to make sure you didn't tweak the structure in some undetectable way that will cause your car to wear tires funny. (not Sears or a tire chain, a real frame shop)

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

"Ted Mittelstaedt" writes in article dated Wed, 2 Nov 2005 03:40:00 -0800:

I hear they work great for all those blind deer who can't see cars coming. (I had a buck race me once -- he saw me coming and then decided he had to cross the road before I got there.)

To the OP -- you might have broken your AC condenser. It's a good time of year to do that, assuming you're in the northern hemisphere.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I've got some hearing loss, (never mind that us two-leggers aren't supposed to be able to hear them) I *DO* hear them - as a non-stop "screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" right at the edge of hearing that gives me a case of the willies the same way as the screech of fingernails on a chalkboard.

Had a doe do that a few years ago - She apparently mis-judged, and wound up body-checking the pasenger-side mirror clean off the car when she hit. (That one bounced across the ditch under her own power, and was last seen heading toward a stand of trees on the other side of the field at high speed)

Well, since the AC didn't work anyway (needs a conversion/recharge and a new belt, at the very least), busting the condenser would be one of those "Oh well, don't that just suck?" things. But it doesn't look as though the hit did anything more than mash a handful of the fins out of their nice little pattern - The actual plumbing attached to the fins appears to be undamaged.

Reply to
Don Bruder

I have had that happen a couple of times.. Once in a Blazer, and it did several hundred dollars worth of body damage, but nothing serious. Second was in a Buick, and she nearly took the front end off. Still, no alignment, A/C, or windshield problems.

Female deer get a little crazy this time of year here in Texas. When it gets cool, the moon is full, and they are in full rut, they are very nervous and unpredictable.

With recent studies that show that CWD is increasing in both wild and farmed animals, and is moving eastward at unexpected speed, I have decided not to eat anymore venison until the whole issue is a lot clearer.

Reply to
<HLS

There is a special rock that you can buy as well. They're quite rare, but they work. You put it anywhere in your car, most people put it in the trunk. The natural frequency of this rock repels deer, only they can sense it. I have one here I could sell you, $300 + shipping, I accept Paypal. I'll even give you a money back guarantee: if you hit a deer while this rock is installed, I'll give you your money back.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Reply to
mst

Glad to hear you're okay and that the car is in okay shape.

I'm also glad to hear you took out yet another deer. Tall rodents, they are.

Just be glad you werent on a motorcycle, as some people that I know that have hit deer, and myself, as I've had deer cross my path.

Reply to
mst

Good riddance!!

Reply to
mst

I think they are beautiful creatures. People wouldn't have so much trouble with them if they would just SLOW DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION at dusk and dawn, when they are most likely to be crossing roadways.

It is the driver's fault for going too fast for conditions...conditions being DEER CROSSING, posted or otherwise.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

and tasty too!

nate

(unashamed carnivore)

Reply to
N8N

The only venison I ever ate was *gamy* in flavor. Awful stuff. Maybe if you get one that is corn fed and young.

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

Deer do far more damage to crops and residential plantings than to cars. Here in PA it's got so bad that there are no limits to the sex or number of deer that can be "harvested" during the regular hunting season. Many deer are simply popped in the backyard regardless of hunting season.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I lived in Rochester NY for many years. Not too far from PA. We have an overabundance of deer here also in the forest preserves where hunting is not allowed.

Every now and then they have to be culled by Dept of Natural Resources. Evidently hunters can't be trusted to do this work as this is a highly populated area, human wise. A mistake could cost a human life.

About 3 a.m. one morning I came across a herd of deer crossing a road in a forest preserve. My best guess is there were 50 on one side of the road and another 50 on the other side. It looked like a cattle drive.

But it is my understanding that more deer a killed in PA every year by cars than hunters.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

Your understanding of many subjects is incomplete. The reported kill by hunters in PA is over 500,000/year. Many more are unreported. Reported kills by car is not accurately tabulated but is estimated at around 15,000. Some accidents with deer do not result in the deer's death. I have stuck a number of deer in my 45 years of driving and do not know if any of them died.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Do tell. Post it up so we know you aren't lying.

Reply to
Chas Hurst