Car vs. Deer - Car 1, Deer 1

Why should I have to prove anything to an admitted PIG hit & run driver?

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

There are about 1.5 million deer/vehicle collisions annually, resulting in 29,000 human injuries and more than $1 billion in insurance claims in addition to the death toll

Do the math.

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

About 50,000 of them go to that big salt lick in the sky from road accidents annually in our state.

15,ooo asswipe? NO 50,ooo

If you can't even get THAT right, and you live there, there is no need for further discussion. You're off by a factor of 3.x

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

Take your meds Larry, the MORON side of your personality is taking over again. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I consider them nothing more than a large squirrel.

Reply to
mst

A little marinating in red wine will take care of that. Ends up like a kind of stringier, dryer (because it's less fatty) version of beef.

nate

Reply to
N8N

They are beautiful creatures, but you are unrealistic when you suggest people slow down and pay attention. That just doesnt seem to work.

The first one I even hit was well after dark on the interstate where traffic was moving at 65 mph. Slow down there and you have bigger problems than a deer. This one came out of nowhere and there was no way to avoid it.

I hit the second on a country road, after dark, at about 35-40 mph. Again, she came out of nowhere, and there was no way I could have avoided her. Even so, she did a lot of body damage to my Buick.

Neither incident had animal crossing signs.

I agree that people should drive within the posted speed limits, observe warnings, and be alert, but IMO, nothing I could have done in either case would have made the outcome any different.

Reply to
<HLS

No, it was a deer. I've hit pigs, though, and it's just as bad.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The gaminess actually can be a good thing if you're careful. It works well in chili, and it can work amazingly well with sweet sauces like cranberry or orange sauce. You just don't want it to be overpowering.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You just lost the argument, Larry.

Reply to
Don Bruder

IOW you do the same thing. Why am I not surprised.

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

Deer are much tastier. I prefer them ground as deerburger with fatty hamburger.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

FYI, when you bring your deer to the butcher, it isn't YOUR deer meat you're getting back! It is a mix of everyone's meat.

Now somebody is going to ask for a *citation.* Well, call Como's Meat Market on Torrence Avenue in Lansing, Illinois.

The only way you can be certain you're getting =your= venison back is to do the butchering yourself.

FYI

BTW, with CWD going around, I won't eat venison, and The State isn't using roadkill anymore for food donations. FYI.

Citations? Fugetaboutit. Too busy here.

Have a Safe one. Some lady blew a stop sign in front of me today and I almost T-boned her on the driver's side. TG for ABS.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

The problem is that deer are evolutionarily unadapted to coexistence with motor vehicles and there are no more predators keeping them in check. If you are afraid to eat them at least pelt them out and tan the hide-it makes a fine covering for many things. But out East the population density is so bad I would have no problem with just gun-and-run at least in places. A carbine, or a breakopen shotgun with a subcaliber tube or a heavy game rifle with a subcaliber adapter, firing a subsonic pistol cartridge will kill deer humanely with no "gunshot noise" to provoke cop calls in most places.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Neither would I, right now. Authorities in some areas have recommended that all harvested animals be tested for CWD before human consumption. Cost is about $75 per head.

People here in Dogpatch never heard of CWD and don't give a damn. Onset of symptoms here would not likely be noticed anyway.

Reply to
<HLS

Look at this:

on my way to store to look at deep cycle batteries ( yes it is a good way to unload my old and dead marine battery that weighs in at about

60 or 70 pounds !

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence_Glickman

Wow, around here we just use a .22 and shoot them right behind the ear.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You said that more deer were killed by cars than by hunters. Then you showed that 50,000 were killed by all vehicles. Therefore no more than

50,000 were killed by hunters.

states:> Last year, 504,600 deer were harvested, including more than 203,000 bucks. Therefore you are off by a factor of 10. Now everybody is curious regarding the limits of your ignorance.

Reply to
Matt

If you give his money back, does he still get to keep the rock?

Reply to
Matt

The article you cite has contradictory numbers.

reports that collisions between deer and vehicles have increased 22 percent locally. That's a fender-crunching 2,532 accidents in 2001.

So if C is the number of collisions in 1994, then the article seems to state that C * 0.22 = 2,532 which implies that C = 11,509 We might conclude that there were 11,509 + 2,532 or about 14,000 deer-vehicle collisions in PA for 2003.

The article also states:

big salt lick in the sky from road accidents annually in our state.

I hope you haven't been overwhelmed by the algebra or by the reasoning.

Reply to
Matt