Avital Remote Start and 99 Maxima Help!

Hi,

I just had an Avital 4200 remote start installed in my 99 Maxim GXE. I'm having a few issues but don't know if they are normal or not. On the box of the remote start it lists many features. I'm getting mixed answers at Best Buy and when I called Avital they simply connected me to a local dealer meaning they offer no factory tech help. The remote start works but I lost my Panic Button (use this all the time to locate the car at Home Depot, etc.), Chirp when locks are locked ( I now get the light flashing), and a beeping noise if you leave the headlights on. Also, the light on the radio dims and get bright intermittently. Were the installers to lazy to install all these features and do I have a short somewhere? I'm wondering if I should just have them pull the whole system. Also, my wife said that she couldn't start the car from inside her building ( she works in a school) However, the remote start seems to always start the car from inside the house. Is there a range booster I can have installed? Advice needed?

Reply to
Trader

Who installed it? BestBuy?

If you had the panic and warning beeps for the locks and headlights before the installation of the remote start, then they were disabled by the installation of the remote start. The installation may have been done erroneously, or that is how the particular remote start has to work. Buy cheap, get cheap! When you install an aftermarket remote start on a vehicle that has an alarm system or other anti-theft devices, certain things have to be disabled or bypassed temporarily in order for the vehicle to be remotely started. This requires wiring the remote starter components to certain computer circuits that control vehicle functions, i.e. passkey ignition (ignition requires the insertion of a key with a built-in electronic device). Improper wiring may cause other, non-remote starter, problems (as you have found out).

As for the remote starter not working from inside the school, this happens for some radio devices in a lot of commercial buildings (cell phone doesn't work in certain parts of the building, pagers don't work, transistor radios, etc.). This has all to do with the building construction (steel, metal wall studs, lots of wiring, electronics, etc.). Maybe she can find a certain spot inside the school where the interference is not so great. If so, she will have to go to that spot whenever she wants to start the car. Otherwise, have her go to a door or window facing the parking lot, open it, stick her hand outside, aim towards her car, and see if it works from there.

Back to the problems with the alarm system, I would take the vehicle back to the installer and tell them to fix it. If they say that's how it is supposed to work, then have them take it out (although they might screw up even more things with the removal). Go to a reputable auto service center that deals with these things on a regular basis.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Yes it was installed by Best Buy. Obviously there is a short of the ullimination on the radio get dim and then bright. I called a few installer today and some of them say if they install a remote start that I wouldn't lose any of the factory conveniences that I have now. But I also had two different installers tell me if I want a chirp when I lock my doors or a panic button (had it on the stock remote) I will have to pay about 100.00 extra for a remote/alarm system. One installer said that they would re-install the remote into any new car I bought. I'm a bit confused as what I should do. I'm thinking that I should have the unit removed and installed by another shop. Any advice...

Reply to
Trader

Having anything other than a stereo or speakers installed by Best Buy, or any discount store, is fraught with problems. If you want dependable installation, go to a service center that specializes in that product. Service centers that deal in alarm systems, and related items, install them every day in a variety of vehicles, and may not even have to consult installation instructions. Having it done by a discount store which is more interested in sales than service, and does installations as a incentive to more sales, is asking for trouble. You might as well have taken it to a tire dealer. What should you do? Well, you lost some conveniences that you had before the installation of the remote starter. You can live with it (as will some future owner should you sell the vehicle), or you can take it back to BestBuy and have them remove it. BTW, does the car alarm still work, or did you lose that too?

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Hi,

I did some more research and found out that it is normal to lose the panic button and interior lights. I was told by other installers that I would need to purchase a remote/alarm to get the panic button and chirp when you lock the doors and the interior light is an add-on. I also called back Best Buy and they said they would hook up the horn and panic button for free but that the interior light is an addon. So I'm still a little confused becuase I'm being told different things by different installers. In any event, the radio should not dim and then get bright and I shouldn't have lost an audible warning when the lights are on. However, I was told that all their employees are certified installers. If I let them take out the system they may do more damage as you have suggested. I may let them try to fix it and then have it removed if I'm still not happy. In all fairness you can get a bozo kid ans an installer too at a stereo shop. It is a gamble.

Reply to
Trader

I just installed the Audiovox system in my truck. Everything I had before works. Range is good but took installer almost 8 hours to do it.

I am very satisfied.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us