Carburetor problem?

I've noticed over the past 4 weeks that my '74 Super Beetle just stops. I might be driving at 30 - 40 mph and the car loses power and the engine dies. Or I can be slowing down for a light and as soon as I come to a complete stop the engine dies. In both situations the car starts up immediately. Does this sound like fuel starvation - the bowl running out of fuel - or can the carburetor be adjusted too lean? The carburetor is only 3 years old if that. I hope I don't have to buy a new carburetor again.

Thank you

Reply to
warlock

Is your heat riser working? flaps? may.. just may be carb icing.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Could be fuel starvation, though that's much more likely to happen at highway speeds.

And "starts right up" doesn't sound like the bowl is empty. If you can make it act up at a convenient time/place, pull the carb top off and check the fuel level. Be CAREFUL of spilled fuel on a hot engine though.

Check that the idle cutoff solenoid is screwed in tightly; if loose, it can cause intermittent loss and stalling.

If you rule out all carb/fuel issues, it might be something like a bad condensor acting up with temperature.

In any case, I don't think you need a new carb.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

My '77 std did this recently because of vapor lock. The next time this happens, try removing the gas cap and listen for air being sucked in.

-Chris

warlock wrote:

Reply to
Chris Snyder

Ooooooooooooooooo Why didn't I think of that??

Good possibility. See that the heated air intake to the air filter is working.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

oh sh*t.... I posted faster than Speedy Jim... :_)

Reply to
Eduardo K.