catalytic converter question

I need to have some exhaust work done, and I'm wondering how to pre-test my catalytic converter so I'll know that I can tell the shop whether I want it replaced or not.

The muffler is shiny and not squishy, so that should be obvious.

On a previous car, the cat. failure mode partially blocked the passage, so the increased pressure and temperature led to a hole ahead of the cat. I'd like to know if that's what I have before I consider paying someone to work on it.

So, do I, like, blow air up the tailpipe and see how hard it is to get it through?

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:2ccbfea3-5f99-4244-b42a-681927865b78@

33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

Get an emissions test done. If you live in an area afflicted with the requirement to have those done, you'll need to do it soon anyway.

If you live in an area that's blessedly test-free, LEAVE IT ALONE. If there is no obvious pathology, LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't spend cash just because the cat's, oh, dirty on the outside or something.

Reply to
Tegger

You said it right. It's truly amazing how religiously folks put up with stuff. Around here there are fine old mansions being knocked down, and then they don't build anything on the smoking pit. "But, but it's OLD!"

I was worried about my catalytic converter being blocked though, since that I did see that once long ago.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d23g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

That used to happen with poorly-maintained cars in the days before OBD-II. If your car was made after 1995, the engine's computer will likely raise a complaint of some kind long before you can feel anything wrong.

Reply to
Tegger

innews: snipped-for-privacy@d23g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

Thanks, I feel better knowing that somebody out there knows what's up.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002