Change spark plug

Nope, never came close to even suggesting that it was. Your claim doesn't even come close considering that I haven't yet described the three different ways I can think of off the top of my head that resolves the OPs problem of getting the #3 spark plug out and in undamaged.

Okay, so how is your explanation to go get a longer spark plug socket any different than my recommendation of procuring a tool specifically designed to address the problem he's encountering? Please, address it from the stand point(s) of: Cost Time spent doing the task Likelyhood of the job not being botched

It will reduce the time for the experienced also. Are you at all familiar with the space constraints involved here or are you just parroting what the others with sketchy recollections have said?

Only if it's a good idea. remember, you recommended tha he buy a longer spark plug socket. Newsflash, he isn't likely to find it at Sears, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes or anywhere else besides a tool truck.

As you said, buy a longer spark plug socket, the likely candidate costing around $25.00, and he'll still have just 1/4" space to manipulate it in. What fun!

Yes "magic tool." Just so you know, a standard length 5/8" spark plug socket is

2 3/8" long, once maneuvered onto the #3 spark plug (with two fingers if lucky) the hex end will be below the level of the heat shield that surrounds the left side exhaust manifold, meaning that it's worthless for getting a wrench on and since there is only .700 inch space out to the steering shaft, ratchet and breaker bar are out also. The next longer available 5/8" spark plug socket is 2 7/8" long and -does- project the hex outside the heat shield, -but- he'll have to break the spark plug off to get it on because of the lack of clearance to the steering shaft, which means he won't be able to use it to install the new plug. Catch-22, obvious to anyone who's ever worked on an S chassis with a 4.3.

Ed, don't confuse the fact that I didn't reply to your half baked solution to my not having read it. You suggested a "longer than stock spark plug socket." Okay, where does he get one? What manufacturer? What part number? Seems to me he could have easily wasted as much time or more chasing around looking for a socket that likely isn't available as common stock as he would ordering the special tool from Snap-On. Either way, he's going to spend money which is (strangely) what YOU recommended and are also carping about. Oh, BTW, the only correct information in your first reply was that the engine is not a transverse mount. A factoid that the OP probably already knew.

And I'd say it's safe to assume that he would like them to function better than the old ones and he'd prefer keeping blood loss to a minimum.

Not being prepared and having the tools and skills is -his- problem. McDonalds mentality at it's finest, I want it now damn it! Looks like he as two choices; order the/a tool and spend about the same as your recommendation or; Learn to think past the end of his nose and replace the spark plug with what he has on hand.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

So why haven't you suggest them instead of trying to be a preacher?

Not knowing what tools he has or can borrow the cost could be zero. Don't know his skill. You don't know any of this either.

I know about the space issue and am completely aware of people who like to talk an issue to death instead of actually doing it.

I did not recommend he buy anything. I gave my opinion on what I would do. Do you always make stuff up as you go along? I guess it's easier for you to generate words this way...

You should buy him one since you are the one making this part up.

Why do you even bother writing this nonsense? Plugs have been removed and installed on these vehicles for years now. If you don't know how to do it say so. Making believe that it cannot be done except for you way is quite sad.

He will only spend money if he wants to.

More opinion. I don't think you know what his goal is.

Or if he wants to spend $30.00 and get the job done fast I don't expect it will be very hard to find someone to put one plug in for $30.00.

This problem has been around longer than you think. Over 20 years ago people use to cry about putting plugs in V8 Monzas. The same short, bent 5/8 box end wrenches that worked on them work fine now. Using Google you might even find a special tool for them...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

Look Ed, that's at least the second time in this thread that you've answered your own question.

Were that the truth, you'd have made a specific recommendation other than "a longer socket."

Interesting, referring to yourself in the third person...

Normally, when someone doesn't have something, they need to purchase it. Borrowing a tool would have been self evident to the OP if he had that option.

Except that he obviously didn't have that option.

You gonna cry now?

I see. In your world, these things just fall out of the sky. or, are you claiming that I'm making the 1/4 inch part up? Careful now, I took those measurements off a late model Jimmy yesterday morning.

Sorry Ed, arguing semantics isn't putting you ahead.

Indeed they have. Your method probably wasn't an option for him since he didn't have a longer socket, the other options went unmentioned by you once you became involved in raising the signal to noise ratio, so I strongly suspect that you have no other solutions to offer.

Go ahead, tell him how to do it with the socket he has on hand. It's quite simple you know...

Shame it took this long for you to finally 'get it.'

Really? I thought his goal was quite clearly stated in his original post.

So, your solution is to open the Yellow Pages? Ah yes, the sweet smell of back pedal.

This is rich...

Yes, yes Ed. Did that job many times while those vehicles were under warranty/past warranty. Don't remember the crying part though since V-8 Monzas were not all -that- difficult.

It's probably a safe bet that the OP doesn't have any "short bent

5/8 box wrenches either, or he wouldn't have posted his question.

And what's up with the story change?

Why Google? I already pointed him to the special tool. Good god, you're thick.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The so called Monza V8 problem was a hoax perpetrated by shops/dealers that wanted to make more money or mechanics that weren't inventive enough to figure an easier way to change the plugs. I used to like working on them and when the word got out that I didn't charge more, I did quite a few.

Larry

Larry Webb

Nope, It is the second time you choose to write this.

And did you tell him how to use your magic tool? You must be very bored.

Whats interested is you still talking the issue to death.

I take it as being that the OP wanted advice. You have never borrowed anything? Are you claimging to know the state of mind of the OP?

And you were there?

Keep generating.

Nothing to be careful of in any shape or form.

I'm not aware that points are being awarded.

Your solution is to post a link. Is that what the OP asked for?

And what socket does he have?

They make medicine for that.

More opinion, he probably got his plugs in by now...

His goal was to get as much info as possible on his problem. People ask questions on newsgroups usually to get more than one opinion.

That was not in my original reply to the OP. You just might be running out of words.

So is Snap-On.

Neither are Blazers.

How would you know what he has? The only story involved is the one you drag out. The Op already got my opinion. What is your story?

Hmm... A person asks for help you give them a link. I'll be "thick" anyday...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

I believe it. Never had a problem. Like anything else once you figure it out it's all downhill...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

Not in the interest of the OP, but rather a cheap laugh:

Noone has suggested shorter plugs yet.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish