clear coat question

HI, I just paint my truck's door and put on clear coat. It's done. However ,it seems like there is not enough clear coat. The door is not glossy like the old one. Now, people told me not to put on any more clear coat after the old layer already dried. I just want to know if it's true. Or is there any possible way to put on more clear coat. Thanks.

Reply to
Hoc Phan

Go to this link above. All you will ever want to know about body work and auto painting. Just post your question and let the pros reply.

Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Sand it lightly by hand with 600 grit and you can re-coat. You can dust on the first coat but especially the last coat should be fully wet out so it can flow and smooth out. I think too much is better than too little for clear, but if you aren't going to polish you may disagree (runs scrap off easy with a razor blade before color sanding). If you're concerned only with glossiness and you have enough on there why not just polish?

Reply to
The 3rd little pig

Thanks you guys. Talking about polish. I wonder if I did it the right way. Here is what happened (i'm new to this by the way, it's my first project). I put on

3-4 layers of clear coat. Then I saw some orange peel effect (probably like you said, the last coating was too thick). I started to wet sand it with 1000 grit sand paper. Then I used the buffer to buff it out with compound. It look glossy, but not as much as the original one. Now people blame that because of the clear coat manuafacture difference but I dont think so because I look at the other part of the door (behind it) where I didn't wet sand & buff, it looked just as glossy as the old one (but with orange peel of course). Well, and I just leave it alone.
Reply to
Hoc Phan

Well, just few more question? Should I wet sand with 600 grit or just dry sand it? It will make some scratch, but will the scratches gone away ?

Reply to
Hoc Phan

For wet you dont need a mask, and you need to get soapy water to wash it with anyway, so do it wet.

You need to scratch the surface so the new clear has something to hold onto. The new clear fills in all the scratches as long as you get one full coverage wet coat.

Reply to
The 3rd little pig

If you have 4 coats you dont need more clear, you need to buff. Sand with

1500 and 2000 after the 1000 and make sure you're using the right compound. You should be using 2 or 3 different compounds, with different pads to do a proper job. If you have the wrong compound you can buff all day and never make it shine.
Reply to
The 3rd little pig

Then I probably had the wrong compound then. Would you recomend me a good one from NAPA or Kragen/Schuck?

Reply to
Hoc Phan

By the way, I used the "MIRROR GLAZE FINE-CUT CLEANER professional" to buff it out.

Reply to
Hoc Phan

Start with something a little more aggressive than that. Best bet is an autobody jobber, pick their brain and buy maguires, they're the best.

Reply to
The 3rd little pig

You can also try

can buy a lot of their stuff from
includingsomething like Finesss-It which is an aggressive compound as well as some of the lighter stuff.

Reply to
Jimmy