Fix for peeling clear coat on 10-year old-minivan?

My 98 Plymouth Voyager is starting to lose the clear coat finish in places. My garage guy - who I trust - says that he knows no fix short of a repainting. That's not gonna happen! Is there some kind of wax, sealer, or other treatment I can use here to repair the damaged areas?

Reply to
SemiMike

SemiMike wrote in news:e9a22fbc-a801-4abc-baaa- snipped-for-privacy@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com:

I also just read your problem with the headliner. Coincidentally, my '03 Dakota has the same issues. Clear coat has bubbled and peeled away on the roof and now the hood, and most of the headliner has come unglued and is sagging.

There's no way I can afford a new paint job or a replacement headliner, so the paint will stay as is, and I'm going to remove the headliner from the shell and strip away as much glue/residue as possible.

They had to have skimped big time on the finish and the headliner glue. Lesson learned.

Reply to
Joe

The cheap way is to continue to apply car wax. The UV protectants in car wax will work just as well on the base paint as on the clear coat. Your goal here is to keep the base color coat intact and continuing to provide rust protection to the sheetmetal. Of course it will look like hell but who cares, right?

However, a much better way IMHO is to get a couple rattle-cans of clearcoat spraypaint and mask the car and recoat the bad areas with more clear coat. Do several very light coats of clear and give it a half hour between coats. Follow up with wet sanding with the finest grit sandpaper and then polish. This is an easy Saturday afternoon project and if you are careful the results will look excellent. There are many websites out there that explain the process it is not difficult.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I'd just Rand-O-Strip it to metal, prime and reshoot.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Heh. I'm sure you would. However unless you have a computer color matcher in your garage the results will look pretty bad - unless you do the entire vehicle.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt