clutch cylinder problems

91 Accord EX-R 285,000kms

Got some intermittant clutch actuation troubles, any ideas on differentiating between a master or slave cylinder internal leak?

Or is it a parts swapping exercise? Factory manual is no help is diagnosis.

Thanks, Steve

91 EX-R, mostly stock CB7tuner.com short/quick shift, Wheelskins wheelcover, Infinity 605CS, 692.5, JVC MP3, 0W-30, Silverstars, mesh grill, Krazy Kandy Koloured Kam Kover, Energy Suspension engine mount
Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Pull back the rubber boots on both of the cylinders. You should be able to see any fluid leaks. Note that you'll have to go under the dash for the clutch master cylinder.

Reply to
Eric

"Stephen Bigelow" wrote

With the age of the vehicle, and the kilometers....I wouldn't just replace one or the other. Replace both of them as a unit. Far less likely to have problems if you do this. Of course, you need to determine that the problem is hydraulic related first.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

If your Accord is like my '94 Del Sol, there is no such thing as an "internal" leak on the clutch system -- no shaft seals to contain any fluid leaking past the piston seals. If you have a fluid leak, look for it under the dash for the master and peel back the boot to check the slave.

I did have an intermittent problem with the clutch on my car -- unpredictable clutch pedal travel prior to engagement and synchro's working hard occasionally to get the disk to slow down enough on gear changes. Turned out to be a small piece of metal broken off of the disk bouncing around between the disk and pressure plate. Had to pull everything apart to figure it out though.

Good luck finding your problem -- hopefully in the hydraulics, but don't ignore the rest of the system.

-rock-

Reply to
Rock Kent

|Stephen Bigelow wrote: |> |> 91 Accord EX-R 285,000kms |> |> Got some intermittant clutch actuation troubles, any ideas on |> differentiating between a master or slave cylinder internal leak? |> | |Pull back the rubber boots on both of the cylinders. You should be able to |see any fluid leaks. Note that you'll have to go under the dash for the |clutch master cylinder.

Look for bubbled paint on the firewall or booster where the MC mounts. As another noted, you are way ahead to just change both and be done with it. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Found bubbled paint at the firewall, just a minor leak, just enough to inhale a little air to bugger things up. A new dealer master ($108CDN) and all is well.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow