Collapsible steering column

Could someone describe the design of a GM mid 80s collapsible steering column? Thanks

Reply to
Ken Hilson

The steering mast jacket was expanded, like expanded steel mesh and the steering shaft inside was on a slip joint. You could actually sit there and with enough jerking force, collapse or push the wheel in towards the dash.

Reply to
pete selby

"pete selby" wrote

Really? You must be one big guy to be able to do that.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

What do you think happens in a collision? That column was supposed to be able to collapse and 'save' a woman's life. Really

Reply to
pete selby

"pete selby" wrote

So what you are telling me is that you are able to sit in a vehicle and by simply pushing hard on the steering wheel and column, you can collapse the steering column? As I said, you must be the size of a cave troll to be able to pull that off.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Ken Hilson

I've had occasion to replace a mast jacket some years ago because a customer claimed to have done just that. Fortunately, he wasn't anywhere near as ignorant as you are nor as big as your mouth. Here's your opportunity to grow the f*ck up and let this go. I never claimed to be able to do this.

Reply to
pete selby

"pete selby" wrote

This is what you said:

If "you" never did this....why claim it can be done? Just tell me that your "customer" said it could be done, and then I could have a good chuckle about how gullible you are to believe everything that your "customer" says. Unless he was the size of a cave troll.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

So basically, you truely are an asshole or in net speak a troll.

Go suck on your mama's tit

Reply to
pete selby