Crackling/"rustling" noise in Chrysler 300M

While driving at freeway speeds today, I could hear an annoying noise in our '02 Chrysler 300M -- like rustling leaves, perhaps, but loud and constant.

Turning off the fan didn't seem to make any difference. When the car was not moving, there was no such sound, even when I cranked the fan up to its highest speed.

Are there ventilation ducts that could have an accumulation of dry leaves and are independent of the HVAC controls? If so, any ideas for dealing with the problem. And please don't tell me to pull the whole dash apart: once was enough for a lifetime.

Or is there any other possible cause?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Possible bad wheel bearings or loose lug nuts.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

It doesn't sound at all metallic. It really does sound like continuously rustling leaves. The lug nuts aren't loose: I checked.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Maybe an exhaust shield flapping in the wind? Loose grill component? It may be tough to find the source.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Mouse nest in the door or glove box? Don't ask me how I know this.

Reply to
The Real Bev

It's a common problem. That's why I always keep a Burmese python under the seat.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A Pit Bull dog might help too.

Reply to
allisellis851

Yeah, you need the pit bull to protect you from the puthon.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey