2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

I had a weird experience today. I am trying to sell my 2002 Focus Wagon, and a guy took it out for a test run on the freeway. He came back and said that the car ran great, but it had some kind of tremendous vibrating noise when running at speeds higher than 50 MPH. I had never heard it, so he took me out to show me.

The noise is mainly there when one of the rear passenger windows is open. No wonder I had never experienced it, as I never have any windows open when driving the car.

I am not sure what it is, but the noise (kinda like "chug, chug, chug") is quite severe and increases in intensity, but not frequency, as the speed is increased past 50 MPH.

I think it may be some acoustic thing, caused by air buffeting in the cargo area (the tonneau cover there was retracted, and I have not tested it with it extended). It gets to be very loud, though, and we could feel the pressure waves in our ears.

Have any of you here experienced anything like it? Any ideas?

Reply to
Skitt

Have the same problem in my 2000 wagon. The noise is even worse with both windows cracked open.

Reply to
vjc

Yeah, my 00 Wagon does it too. At least now I know it is normal! :)

Matt

00 Focus Wagon
Reply to
Matt Mead

My '00 ZX3 does it with the sun roof open in the 25-40Mph range

Reply to
me

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:29:19 -0800, "Skitt" wrote Re 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?:

Yes, I have it on my 2005 ZX4. It's definitely acoustic. If you have electric windows, you can change or eliminate it by moving the position of the various windows.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Great. Now I have to convince the potential buyer that that is all it is, and to not open the rear windows when on the freeway. Why would one do that anyway?

Reply to
Skitt

my 2003 focus does the same noise

Reply to
pad

my '01 wagon has the same wind noise at high speeds when the rear windows are down little bit..the worst thing is that the rear windows are crank operated.. if a passenger leaves them open and I hit the highway, I have to pull off and crank them up to save my ears and sanity..

ahmet Turkey focus wagon 1.6 liter

Reply to
a.k.

It's not just Focii: it's pretty much every car made. My VW Passat wagon used to the same thing if you cracked the rear window, and opening the sunroof without opening a window at least an inch was sure to induce migraines...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

yep almost every car I have ever owned exhibited the same problem.

Reply to
lurker