Noise in the cab at one rpm only.

I have a 1988 Toyota, carbureted 2WD pickup. The truck has a very quiet exhaust system but at a low rpm just above idle it makes an annoying "vroom" sound in the cab each time it passes through that rpm. If that rpm is held steady it will continue. There is no such sound at any other engine speed. The truck need not be moving. It is so annoying because that rpm occurs so much in city driving that the "vroom" is coming and going constantly. It's hard to guess, but the rpm seems to be around 1000. Maybe a little higher. I've searched the groups for advice and thus have jacked up the engine while watching all the motor mounts, and all the following. The exhaust system is in good shape and properly supported. My efforts to locate the source of this noise have been mostly by doing things that would stop the noise so I could figure out what to do. I have weighted the exhaust pipe at different places to stop any resonating(?) I also put the jack under it for the same test. It had no affect. I hooked a hoist to the front of the engine and pulled it up hard, but it didn't help. I weighted the engine down about a hundred pounds to no avail. I took off the A.C. and smog pump belt. That made no difference. I held the fan still while running the engine. No help. The 22r just seems to love to vibrate at that rpm and it sounds like someone beating a drum in the cab. Something is resonating. Any suggestions? I am so stumped that the only other thing I could think of was to come in the house and join this newsgroup and ask you. It's my first post. Thanks for any advice you have.

Reply to
zlen357

Greetings,

How about a loose baffle plate in the muffler or a loose heat shield between the muffler and cab floor? Or maybe a heat shield in the engine compartment...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

You might try pulling the vacuum hose off the EGR valve and plugging it temporarily as a test. Sometimes they can make noise.

zlen357 wrote:

I had a similar problem on my 85 toy- turned out to be a cannister in the engine compartment( on the intake side of the motor) . The evaporative cannister base is close to a notch of the inner fender. I was working on the engine and might have put enough pressure on the can to bend it slightly, pushing it close to the notch which it hit when the rpm was sympathetic. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Some catalytic converters have a heat shield too and can get loose enough to vibrate. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92