Dealer left out 3 quart of oil - advice?

You don't, you ALWAYS check... :-(

Do I retorque the

I actually do check the torque on lug-nuts after going to the tire store. Spark plugs- probably not since if they get loose you'll hear it. The other things- always ask to see the OLD parts that came off.

Back to the original issue- if the oil light REALLY didn't come on, then you really shouldn't have a problem because pressurized oil was always getting to where it needs to be. Nothing is lubricated by "splash" alone in a modern engine- not even those crank seals mentioned in another post. They're lubricated by spray out of the adjacent bearings, which are pressurized. OTOH, with only two quarts of oil the oil being delivered was probably badly aereated even if it was at sufficient pressure.

I think you can reasonbly win the argument that the engine didn't burn off all that oil if it isn't madly burning oil right now. Engines don't "heal." Have the engine checked and see what the damage is, then work through the process with the dealer. None of us can realistically predict how its going to play out, each case is different.

Reply to
Steve

Thx. It's such a shame that we bite the bullet, pay exhorbitant prices for experts, and even then cannot rely on the job's being done right. My father trusted absolutely NOONE to service his cars--even into his

80's. And I can recall only once during his reign over his service station that he erred: once on a '53-or-so GMC, he poured several quarts of new, costly oil thru an engine w/o the drain plug inserted. This on a pickup which held like 7 qts. of oil, as compared to the usual 5 on most vehicles. Seems he thought the noise was oil hitting the oil-pan, so far away from valve cover opening; however, upon checking the dipstick to find no oil, found it was hitting the catch-pan. Even HE erred, yet caught it in time! Thx for the opinions & advice, s
Reply to
sdlomi2

I'm wondering if the 3 quarts of missing motor oil wound up in the tranny courtesy of some genius.

Reply to
MisterSkippy

You mean your wife actually keeps track of when the oil needs to be changed? I'm impressed.

I think that even if you had not put in oil, it would have been the same. If you think otherwise, you could easily pull the drain plug and let out a few quarts of oil.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Same happened to me when I purchased Anal Care Kit. I discoevered lubrication was insufficient, forget about "metallic sound" - a=physiclsa damage was done but in my case I can show evidence, it's not hidden.

Reply to
Mark Levitski

The older guys were pretty careful with their cars, their money, and their reputations. Nowadays, there are few guarantees, other than dealing with people of impeccable reputation and business ethic. And they are becoming harder to identify.

Loopholes, technicalities, fine print, political correctness...these are todays deadly sins.

Reply to
<HLS

First off it should be said to NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO A DEALER FOR A OIL CHANGE. And the reason is: 1. They have 6.50hr oil change mechanics doing the work.

  1. The people changing the oil are new and not experienced mechanics
  2. They are maximizing their profits on oil changes because they are greedy !
  3. Never go to a quick lube place either. They have the same people working for them. With that said here's a couple of instances why you don't do this. The thing to remember about these is they were all done at a local major dealership. One that you pay big bucks to get your oil changed and other stupid stuff.

First one: Lady brings in a Jeep to get the oil changed. The 'mechanic' who is squeaky new drains the oil but never adds any. The customer proceeds to drive about 60miles with the engine making noises and calls the dealership with some 'issue' with her car. Dealership puts in new engine for free. The mechanic gets chewed out. Second one: Person (not sure guy or who ever) brings in car for a tire rotation. Same 'mechanic' works on vehicle. Now this time he's found out he's run into a little bit of money $20k and isn't sure what he's going to do with it. Seems he filed a disability claim at his last job and it's payed out. So he's a little preoccupied while working on someone's car (oh, oh) . This time he forgets to tighten the lugnuts and the wheel falls off about 60miles later. Whoops... Third one: This time the oil was refilled again and it was the dealerships car they had just bought from somewhere down south. A smoking deal on a used car that was in perfect condition and will be sold for a tidy profit. Whoops, they forgot that the $2 an hr mechanic is doing the work though. He forgot to put oil in the engine again and this time the 2.7liter engine is smoked and we know how good they are anyway. Whoops.... this time the dealership will pay.

Can you say FIRED ! Now we all know what he'll do with the money he got from the previous lawsuit.

Whoops ! From Soutwestern Pa

Reply to
Steve m...

Reply to
tim bur

depends on a dealer. My Bayridge Nissan is perfect, I checked level myself many times since - perfect (at "H" mark on dipstick) and yes they gave me discount fo rusing MY OWN oil and filter, I ahppen to buy own oil from www.amsoilc.om, bext engineered oil on earth, Mobile1 comes only second, and the ultiumate of course www. synlube.com oil fo rlife (150-170K miles oil made of submicron graphne particles, used on Mars and Lunar probes by NASA), not expensive, $40 per oil change fo roil and $20 for service BUT: it ;latsts 25K miles, and in my case probably 30 even though I change at 20, ecause I am mostly cold and medium-speed, i dont sit in traffic and dotn drive in scroching heat

Reply to
Marco Licetti

Next time use a condom when dealing with engines, and wear a helmet when surfing Internet. Always protected me and others should try

Reply to
Marco Licetti

Do you use the prelubed ribbed french tickler condom when mounting an engine?

Naw, then I can't hear the speakers.

Reply to
John S.

that 'scrotching' heat will do it to ya every time. :) Looks like you just like to type fast.

I recall an additive I used to use like 25 years ago (approved for aircraft engines for whatever thats worth), called TCP. It was interesting for the better.

Reply to
ed

and I really dont think NASA puts running oil in the surface exploration vehicles.

Reply to
ed