delayed engaging on reverse and sometimes drive

should I try Lucas Oil products Stop Leak product (

or Trans-X? Will these things make my transmission even worse? Presumably what I have is a seal problem but I am not absolutely sure of this. One transmission shop person told me that when people use these types of products, it messes up the seals and rubber parts. An online source that knows alot about transmissions seemed to feel the same way.

But my particular problem happens usually only in the morning on the first cold start of the day but if left for more than a few hours, it might happen again. Typically on the first start of the day, it takes about two minutes or three to "warm up".

On an additional note, once you get the transmission out, are alot of specialty tools and expertise knowlege required to use a rebuild kit - available for $250 for my 95 Dodge Intrepid - and rebuild it? Presumably this would fix the problem. Just curious. It's so darn expensive to have a transmission serviced in any way...

Reply to
August

In my experience, slow shifts on startup are due to low line pressure which may be related to pump wear, poor seals, etc. Once the fluid is warm and the viscosity has dropped, pressure is transmitted more efficiently, and cold seals may work better when fully warm.

Some of the additives normally used to soften the seals actually swell and soften the elastomers. The effect is temporarily better sealing. The longer term effect is seal damage.

Normally, a transmission repair or rebuild is indicated.

Some say that a transmission lasts longer if never serviced. I don\t believe in this approach. This is, to me, like saying you should never change underwear. The valve body, moving parts, need to be clean and well lubricated to work properly.

An individual with good mechanical ability, patience, and a good set of tools can rebuild a transmission. BUT, it is a challenging job and you must get everything back together just like it is supposed to be. It is not simple like changing brake shoe or rebuilding an alternator.

You might be able to save a bit of money by pulling the transmission and taking it to a REPUTABLE transmission shop in the area. Make the deal first.

Reply to
Larry Smith