Detroit V692 turbo elect inject motor, Allison 650 auto,

Hi Newbie question. I am considering buying a 38 foot converted bus (motorhome). I like everything about the coach part but I don't know anything about the engine in it. According to the ad' it has a "Detroit V6-92 turbo elect inject motor with an Allison 650 auto gearbox". At this stage (online ad and one phone call to the present owner to request more e-mailed info) I don't even know if it's a deisel or petrol motor. (!) Can anyone give me an opinion on whether this is a good set-up and if the engine has a good reputation for reliability etc? What hp is it? (I've Googled for a while but can't find any details) The engine was stripped from a crashed prime mover in the US and shipped to Australia. It has 120k miles on it. I would have to drive the bus across about two thousand miles of empty Australian desert just after buying it and I have a strong will to live so any info would be very valuable. Please feel free to take the piss out of the newbie if you have to - so long as you add some info too.

Cheers A W-S

Reply to
Adam Whyte-Settlar

Run your search on Detroit Diesel 6V92 for lots of info. It is a V6 diesel engine manufactured by GM with a displacement of 92 cubic inches per cylinder. It is supercharged and possibly has a bypass turbo depending on config. They were so-so as far as reliaility compared to other HD diesel engines but were popular in the bus, construction and marine applications. They were known to use and slobber oil and fuel from the exhaust and met their demise because of emissions regs here in the states. They need regular maintenance to keep them operating properly w/o heavy smoke. Even though the later of the series was considered to be "fuel efficient" they are no match for the far superior Series 60 engines that replaced them. Here in the states, it is still easy to find service for them. You may want to check the engine s/n to see if it was one of the early ones with the old crosshead piston design. If it is, don't even look back as you run away.

If you look for used coaches, you will find that the ones with a Series 60 or other more modern engine design are worth about twice the cash with only a year or so difference in age. If you can find and afford a bit later unit with a Series 60 engine, you will be way ahead of the game in the long run especially if you intend to put many miles on it. If I were looking at it, I would not want it unless it could be bought cheap enough to afford to repower it with a Series

60 assumming it could be repowered that way. Contact with the manufacturer may provide some info on that.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks heaps for all that juicy info Lugnut. I also found a load more info under marine engines once I knew what I was looking for.

I think I'll give this bus the proverbial body swerve. Shame because, as I said, otherwise it's a nice bus and has all the solar power, big water tanks and all the other things I needed. I could probably afford the replacement engine so far as cash goes but not with regard to time. It is in Western Australia and I have to take it to Brisbane right away.

Oh well - back to the adverts again : (

Thanks again.

GW (aka A W-S)

Reply to