digital speed

As would any rational person.

Marsh is living up to his .sig again. Ignore him until he sobers up or his brain runs out his ears, whichever occurs first.

Reply to
Steve

Your brain should be processing the nice view outside of your winshield, side windows, and rear-view mirrors. That's what reduces accidents.

Right, that must be why people use tables of figures for effective presentation of data, rather than confusing bar graphs and pie charts.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Steve wrote in news:Y42dnRBzIbr5U__anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

I wonder if he works on cars while he's takin' a toke. Does his boss know?

Reply to
Tegger

______________________

Alright already let's 86 the semantics here!! We're talking about two types of gauge here - how it appears to the DRIVER: Digital means a NUMBER, ie. 57.4 MPH, and Analog means a dial or visual representation: needle is closer to 60 than to 50 MPH.

Americans just luuuv to argue with each other.

CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

depending on what kind of data you're trying to process and/or display.

Speed limit signs are written as numeric values, not as pie charts.

It would appear static values are well suited to being written as numeric, while rapidly changing values or where you only need a range of numbers, do better as an analog gauge.

A digital tach is useless for acceleration and racing purposes, but it's nice (although not really useful) to know exactly what rpm you're turning once up to speed in a regular passenger car.

Ray

Reply to
news

No, we don't.

Reply to
clifto

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

============ ============

Those words NEVER came out of my mouth..... He don't have to hook up nothing he don't want to.

but.....

my original reply to the thread still stands FIRM.....

"almost every car i work on....has a digital readout"

fact, not fiction.

now.......don't go start'n no freek'n pissin matches.... cuz what i writ was rite, whut you red, wuz wrong.

:)

you folks.....NEED to learn to THINK out a problem, in order to THINK ABOUT the problem, in order to KNOW that a statement is wrong, and not THINK you know it's wrong.

:)

why......that's what makes fer GREAT DIAGNOSTICS!!

anything.......else.......is GUESS'N

:)

oh.......and next time.....you'de be better off simply stateing.... "Explain please"

:)

it makes fer a shorter thread. short precise and to the point.

:)

The facts sir, jest the facts.

:)

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his shroomtea........wonders if anyone has an inquiring mind, or jest a mind for not inquiring~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

========= =========

as to the last line in the above response........

What's the readout on your scanner telling you?

:)

~:~ marsh ~shrooms is shrooms.......but crownroyal....now theres a drink~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

__________________________ Just because something has numbers on it doesn't make it "digital". A speedometer with numbers arranged in an arc with a pointer sweeping by is not a digital, but an ANALOG speedometer. OTOH, a speedometer with one large number on it(65 MPH), or a decimal separating 10ths from whole numbers(65.7 MPH), IS digital.

This, by the way, concerns the REPRESENTATION of speed, not the mechanics or electronics used in determining that speed. A digital device can have an analog READOUT, and vice versa.

me out...

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I think what marsh is saying is if it don't have a cable, it aint analog.

Reply to
Steve Austin

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

============= ============= Not sure who you're arguing with.....but please......

:)

IF.....it's me.......do me a flavor...... copy and paste ANY remark that I made that MIGHT have argued AGAINST the statements you jest made.

:)

~:~ MarshMonster ~hooks a vacume to the bong......the whole world needs some enlightenment~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Yup.

That's not a "digital readout," that is merely a data interface. (or communication interface or diagnostic interface) By your logic, any serial port, parallel port, USB port or Firewire port on a PC is a "digital readout."

Sad, so sad...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

======== ========

it's my brain........ not yours.

if it's tell'n me a digital signal CAN be "familied" (like that word?).... into the parameters of the definition of "readout".........

then....my brain is not constricted to the confines of "the norm" or of "the acceptable" and it allows me to go above and beyond the limits of the brains of those who "accept" for face value, a doctrine of "that's how it's always done" .

:)

Sometimes......it's amazing what can be accomplished simply by not adhereing to what's "the norm", "acceptable", or "stated to be fact".........

ever seen a point ignition system on a car....... crank run and drive away...........

without an ignition wire !! ??

:)

i have

:)

~:~ marsh ~sips his shroomjuice.....enters another realm~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Maybe he's playing semantics with whether the underlying information is digital or not. But what the driver SEES is analog if the gauge has a dial and pointer (or bar graph in the case of a '62 Oldsmobile). Just like you don't hear digital sound out of your MP3 player speakers.

And for what its worth, digital information is conveyed by analog voltages that are interpereted as digital bits (with the occasional error that has to be corrected).

Reply to
Steve

MM is trying desperately to show us how 'advanced' he is...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Not really.........

but good guess.

What you shoulda said was that "MM is trying desperately to fk with us.............".

Then...........yer guess woulda been closer to the mark.

:)

~:~ mm ~takes a sips of his crownroyal......stirs in some shroomjuice~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

It wasn't a guess. It was an educated observation.

I wouldn't give you that much credit.

It wasn't a guess.

So, how long ago did you leave Indiana?

Reply to