Dome Light

I took the fuse out because it wouldn't turn off but now I need it for nighttime driving. It stays on and wont turn off when you open the doors or turn light on manually on dashboard. Why does it stay on? I have a 1995 ford ranger.

Reply to
mark

Bad switch in one of the doors.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Is it easy to replace a bad switch in door? Thanks for the help. Could it be anything else? I appreciate the info. I would like to fix problem myself. The more I learn and work on my own veichle the better problem solver I become for future veichle problems. Also, I feel more confident and knowledgeble inside if I need to take it to a mechanic.

Reply to
mark

Yes.

Reply to
sdlomi

The switch was a good suggestion, just to add to it... Not sure about the

95 Ranger in particular, but the problem might not even be "in" the door. I had an 87 celica with this problem (intermittently, often the light would flicker when driving over bumps), and it was because there was a contact which closed when the door was shut (basically two metal surfaces touched when the door was shut). The problem was caused by either ths contact being dirty (fixed by a 3$ bottle of electrical contact cleaning solution at your local harware store) or maybe the door wasn't quite lined up correctly (well it was 16 years old and a convertible, so there were plenty of loose body parts). The latter probably could have been fixed by tightening a few screws and whatnot. Check for a similar visible contact on your vehicle.

Unfortunately, the transmission died before I bothered to fix the door after I diagnosed the problem. Now I don't drive a convertible anymore. Oh well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Where s the switch and/or the contact in the door. I looked but couldn't find anything that might be the switch. I looked inside the door jam for like a PIN that would go in and out when you open and close door thinking it might be stuck. But, pins must be in old models and outdated because on my Ranger no pins found anywhere on door jams. Or is the switch located somewhere under the dash?

Reply to
mark