F250 E4OD Tranmission Problem - HELP!!

Hello!

I am having a bit of a problem. Here is the situation - I bought my 1997 F250 diesel w/E4OD 4.10 4WD truck new in Oct 97. I tow a 5th wheel (max weight was 12,000) intermittently.

In Oct 2001, the "Overdrive" light flashed and to make a long story short, my transmission was totally rebuilt by Ford due to a "slip ring"(?) falling off. I had a lot of complaining and a good Ford dealer's service manager who got Ford to foor 90% of the estimated bill. This happened when the truck had about

55k miles (a LARGE factor in my complaints).

Fast forward to May 2002, when the truck was driven for extended periods of time, the transmission didn't want to shift out of first gear. I would smoothly accelerate until I hit about 2500 rpm, take my foot off the gas and then the truck would shift. Talked to the dealer and he said since it happened intermittently, not to bring it in; bring it in when it happened consistently. The problem was very intermittent, regardless of if I was towing the 5th wheel or not. I suspected heat build up but ...... (the truck came with a transmission cooler and the towing package).\

fast forward again to June 2003. Notice a leak of trans fluid. Front bearing seal gave out. Was fixed by the dealer and I'm on my way again. earlier problem still occurs intermittently.

Today, July 15 2003, I drive about 2 hours and same problems starts again. This time I "lose" the reverse gear. I shift to reverse and it's like I'm in neutral. Fortunately, I'm able to get where I'm going. Let the truck sit for three hours and now everything works fine again. This is the first time this has ever happened.

I suspect heat is causing "something" to short out, give bad readings or whatever. I am totally ignorant of transmissions and will in no way attempt to repair it myself; I want to know what is causing this problem and what a solution is. I really trust the dealer's serivce manager BUT I am wondering if anybody has experienced this same problem and if so, what was the fix? I like the truck otherwise and have had no problems.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Mike p.s. please post replies to the newsgroup!!!!!

Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM! Post replies to the group!

Reply to
Mike Erb