eaton 12 bolt posi; preload spring plates touching side gears?

decided to go through the differential when changing rear gears. Clutches look good; rear was working well when it last ran (25 years ago!).

I put it back together and it seems like the 2 plates holding the 4 preload springs are touching the side gears. Can this be right? I know the whole assembly spins when driving straight ahead, so no problem, but on turns?

Reply to
hillpc

I thought that was how it was supposed to work. The plates touching the side gears are how it transfers the torque from one side to the other.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Well, I guess that makes sense, Ashton Crusher. Just seemed strange to me that the gear teeth would be touching something other than the mating gear teeth on the spider gears.

Thanks.

Reply to
hillpc

I'd have to presume both parts are made of pretty hard steel. And they are not supposed to ever rotate very fast or for very long against each other. Mainly they just do their slipping (slowly) when you go around sharp corners at intersections and the outside wheel is going farther then the inside wheel.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher