Electric door locks - aftermarket

I've been looking at fitting these to an older vehicle. It has an alarm system with a door lock/unlock output.

So I went on line to search for actuators, relays, etc. The most popular actuators appear to be two wire. They appear to be a small motor with gear reduction driving a slide rather than a simple solenoid. So I got wondering: How do they lock vs unlock? Based on input polarity? Do they have integral limit switches or does the controller have to time out the drive signal to keep the (stalled) motor from burning out?

I'll probably go with a kit which includes a controller, but I was just wondering how these things (actuators) actually worked.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Polarity reversal. They stop using a stall limit just like the windows.

Reply to
Steve W.

How old is the car? If it's old enough a trip to the U-pull could get you all the OEM parts.

Reply to
Brent

Which is probably implemented in the controller. So buying a whole kit would be a good idea.

I've seen kits which include an r.f. remote. But I don't want another remote on my keychain, so I'll be looking for one with a 12V input from an existing alarm.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

32 year old Porsche. If there was a different door lock system, odds are it will be difficult to find.

The vehicle has a vacuum operated passenger door lock. It slaves the passenger lock off the drivers door. But that's still key operated.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Depends on the system. GM actuators have the limiters in the motor units.

If the existing system has split controls you could just use GM style units and a couple relays one would be straight polarity and the other reverse polarity. I would test it by connecting a test light to the outputs and see what happens when you push the button. If you hit the button and get a 1-3 second pulse the relays should work

Reply to
Steve W.

My name brand alarm, which I installed but whose name I forget right now but they're very big and do almost nothing but alarms, only sends a pulse, one of two lengths. I use the shorter pulse because I have factory door locks. I can check how long the second pulse is.

P&M because I'm so late.

Reply to
micky