Electric actuator for door lock

I'm looking for an electrical actuator which is capable of releasing the tailgate on a Pug 106 (the lock has been removed and blanked off to "look good"). I can sort out the electrics and mechanics, but if I go down to the scrapyard what vehicles should I start looking in? (I have exactly such an actuator in my Fourtrak, but they are not so common)

TIA

Reply to
newshound

The central locking motor on the boot of my BMW E39 actually releases the latch if you use the second button on the remote. So you can lift the lid without having to operate a handle. But normal central locking or unlocking doesn't release the catch - you have to then use the push button on the lid.

But most central locking motors operate the lock mechanism - the key lock working in parallel with it.

Unless you want one which operates the latch, rather than the lock?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

newshound,

If you want to try pricing for a new one, Give NEAT a ring on 01895 90 70 50 or try contacting them on their website:

[1] I have just bought a brand new wiper motor from them for my daughters Peugeot 306 for £85 [2] + PP + VAT which was ordered on Thursday PM and delivered yesterday AM.

[1] Be aware that this site is in the process of being rebuilt so some of the links may not be available. [2] Apparently the dealer price for this is around £143 + VAT.

Just to clarify: I have no connections with this firm - other than as a customer who has found the telephone sales staff of this company to be very helpful.

Falco

Reply to
Falco

Mondeo comes to mind as the release button is an electrical switch rather than a mechanical release.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Same as my BMW, then. Although the key will also release the latch - as I discovered after my CL motor failed. My thoughts is the system is total overkill over a normal lock mechanism with central locking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I assume that Ford introduced it as a cost saving - modules and wire being cheaper than mechanical linkages and easy to design around. The BMW system sounds a bit fancier if there's a mechanical link in there too.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The boot key switch also operates the central locking as I discovered.

The CL motor is a peculiar device. A motor drives a plunger under the influence of a clock spring which I think returns the plunger to the 'in' position when the motor is switched off. And at that position the plunger operates a microswitch which appears to reverse the motor. But the one I took apart was so broken I didn't bother sussing it out completely. New one was an arm and a leg from BMW - just an arm from Eurocarparts. I've never worked out how they seem to be able to do a special order BMW part at near half price. But just happy they can.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

on 09/09/2009, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :

Not if with arms full of shopping you press a button on the remote and the boot pops open to enable you to put the shopping straight in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It doesn't, though. Just opens slightly. But you can use your elbow to open it fully.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, have bookmarked NEAT for future reference. My original post was inaccurate, what I need is an actuator for the latch, not the lock. The lock has been removed and the boot lid finished flush. Not sure if the lid had central locking originally but it doesn't now. Mondeo sounds like the thing to look for.

Thanks to all

Reply to
Newshound

Maplin do (or did) actuators for not a lot - I can't get to their site this morning to check. Available with or without switching - ie master or slave. They are a direct mechanical replacement for the ones on my SD1 Rover. They're a two wire motorised system - reversing the polarity reverses the motor. You use a timer to provide a pulse long enough for the motor to work - it simply stalls when it gets to the end. If all you need is a motor - works like a solenoid - I've got SD1 ones you can have for the postage. All it needs is an approx 2 second pulse to operate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, will check Maplin too (hadn't thought of them). Thanks for the SD1 offer, but not worth the complexity: on investigation, all I need is a solenoid without very much travel or force, and a return spring, and a push to make switch.

Reply to
newshound

I did later look at their site. The basic one is about 6 quid and about 7 if a master. (The master has switches as well to control the other motors from a key, etc)

The SD1 one is effectively just a solenoid. But like most actually a motor. A gear driven plunger is more efficient than a solenoid. Only real difference is the shape - some are square and it's long and thin, as it were. Roughly the same size as the Maplin ones.

I recently replaced the boot one on my BMW - that is a spring return type. But costs. The cheapest way would be to use a DPDT fleeting rocker switch with a centre off and a standard motor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Fourtrak has exactly that arrangement at the back, but that is operating a lock: one way to lock, the other way to unlock. This just needs to release the latch, allowing the boot to spring open. The latch engages automatically when the boot is closed. With your arrangement the driver needs to remember to return the motor to the latching position. Bearing in mind that the driver will be a teenage boy. I know geared motor provides much more force, but the geometry of this latch is such that light pressure from one finger will release it, so I think a fairly small solenoid should do the job. At the moment I have a bit of plastic coated garden wire terminating in a little loop just above the parcel shelf, at least an improvement on the previous arrangement which relied on dropping a back seat and reaching through the boot to a strategically placed hole in the tailgate inner trim.

Reply to
newshound

Right - sounds similar to the BMW. But as I said pretty well all 'solenoids' are in fact motors. So it depends on what you can get for the money - you could try a 'normal' type used one way only with a external spring return. Although the one on the BMW uses a clock type spring to keep the pressure reasonably constant within a small space. If there's plenty room a longish coil spring might work ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think a spring return will work on a normal geared motor actuator? I must have a hunt in my junk box and see what I can find. At a pinch I suppose I could wind my own solenoid: that's what they'd say on uk. d-i-y! Thanks for all the advice

Steve

Reply to
Newshound

The BMW one has a larger motor than is usual to presumably overcome the spring pressure while moving the lever. But all you could do is suck it and see. Or arrange for the actuator to motor back to the rest position? Easy enough with a relay.

I've never seen a solenoid used for this app. Always a motor. Probably cheaper - and more efficient.

Or tell you to use an angle grinder...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pops right open on a Ford Scorpio. I always liked that little touch.

Reply to
Pete M

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL:

Contact: Annie Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Reply to
zwgearbox