93 GT power door locks question

Hello all...I just bought a 93 GT Hatchback and once I got home I went to lock the doors and the power door locks do not work. I tried both doors and it doesnt even sound like the motor is trying to engage. Any ideas? also that could be on the same lines is I can not get the passanger door locked with the key...I tried using wd40 in and got it to turn a bit but will not lock! All other things seem to work on the car including power windows. Any ideas would be great. I dont live in the best neighborhood so I really need this locked.

Thanks

Reply to
Retro10

Sounds like the actuators are gone. I've had to replace one in my 90 LX. Is the door key hard to turn? That is one signthe actuators are gone.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Thanks...

With the actuator needing replaced will that make the power locks stop working....I dont even hear the motor for it or anything.

Reply to
Retro10

The door lock actuator is just a small DC motor with a screw drive output shaft. If you look at the area on the door underthe actual door latch you'll see a rivet head. This is what mounts the actuator inside the door. The end of the output shaft has an S bend which is linked to the door lock. When the motor spins, the S bend prevents the shaft from turning, so the shaft is forced to move, via screw action, inward or outward (lock or unlock) to operate the lock mechanism. These motors typically go bad due to corrosion. They lock up internally. These motors are not designed to be rebuildable as the housing is crimped in place. Normally the driverside is first to go. When they lock up they prevent normal manual operation of the mechanism. Many people just disconnect the actuator S bend linkage and return to normal manual operation of the door locks. I've replaced dozens of these actuators so if you have questions feel free to email me.

Reply to
Jimz466

I had the problem on the passenger side but had a dealer fix it before I found this site which was on the Latemodel.erstoration. supply sir. I think the URL is 50resto.com. None the less here is the link:

http:/neuromancer.3am.org/~gerrytseng/mustang/20020301.htm If this doesn't work I'll fax you the pages (9) on how to replace the actuator step by step.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs