Electric window parts availability

Vehicle: 1989 Ford F250 with electric windows.

The plastic worm gear has decided to break into many pieces. Needles to say, the window is a bit reluctant to go up and down.

Are these parts dealer only, or do I stand a chance at a real autoparts store like NAPA.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Repair kits can be had at the dealer, not too expensive. Aftermarket, probably not. Usually what goes bad are the three plastic pins in the "clutch" assy. I've found that you can make your own out of plastic stock or something of similar diameter but I think the price of the actual repair kit isn't that bad. Good luck.

Reply to
pater

If the gear is not stripped and the only failure is the three plastic slugs that go between the inner and outer portion of the drive gear and, you are unable tofind news ones, you can use use a high strength epoxy to fill the area. Have everything in place and pour very carefully to just fill the area previously occupied by the slugs. Make sure you clean out all the debris from the failed slugs. I have one still going repaired this way for over 5 years.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Some of the gears are available off the shelf. Some can be modified to fit; in my two Grand Marquises, the inner metal gear is different than the part popularly stocked. I remove it and replace it with the old inner metal gear from the broken part and this works perfectly.

One I have here is in a bag marked "Platinum Parts", so it's definitely not a dealer-only part.

Reply to
clifto

On my way in to work today, I stopped at the Ford dealer. The rebuild kit was in stock. New worm gear, plastic rollers, steel center gear and backing plate/seal. $35 US.

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner