engine oil consistancy

Hi,

Although I normally do oil changes my garage did the last one. When I changed the oil today though it came out of the sump with the consistancy of water. Do you think my garage is usuing a cheapo oil or should I look for other problems.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

Did it smell like gasoline? If you have a mechanical fuel pump you probably need to rebuild it. Otherwise... see below.

One of my pet peeves, and one of the reasons I try to do all my own oil changes is that no matter what you drive, at your average quicky-lube place and even many more reputable garages they will give you 10W30 dinosaur squeezins no matter what you drive. I have had a long string of old VWs and currently a Porsche 944 and all of the 80's German cars that I've had seem to be much happier with a 15W40 or 15W50 oil. My 16V GTI had a hell of a lifter clatter when hot after I had the head replaced, I got home and looked at the receipt and they filled it with

10W30! A half case of Mobil 1 15W50 and all was good again. This was a reputable VW shop that should have known better, because the FSM clearly states that 15W50 would have been a more appropriate choice for the weather at the time.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks for the info